Doğu Perinçek in 2017
June 17, 1942 |
|Political party||Patriotic Party|
Mehmet Bora Perinçek
In 2007, a ruling by a Swiss court made him the first person to receive a criminal conviction for denial of the Armenian Genocide. He is a known denier of the Armenian genocide according to the Swiss-Armenian Association . The case was ultimately appealed to the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights, which in a 15 October 2015 judgment did not rule on the veracity of the Armenian genocide but ruled in favour of Perinçek on grounds of free speech.
In August 2013 he was sentenced to aggravated life imprisonment as part of Turkey’s Ergenekon trials, but he was released in 2014.
Background and personal life
Doğu Perinçek was born at Gaziantep in 1942 to Sadık Perinçek of Apçağa, Kemaliye, and Lebibe Olcaytu of Balaban, Darende. Sadık Perinçek was the Deputy Chief Prosecutor of the Supreme Court and a parliamentary deputy of the Justice Party (AP), the predecessor of the True Path Party (DYP). Perinçek attended Ankara Sarar primary school, an Atatürk Lycee, and Bahçelievler Deneme high school. He interrupted his university education to study German at the Goethe Institute in Germany, going on to finish Ankara University's Law faculty, and working as an assistant lecturer in public law. He then completed a doctorate at the Otto-Suhr-Institut in Germany.
Prior to his detention as part of the Ergenekon case, Perinçek resided in Gayrettepe, Istanbul with his wife Şule Perinçek. They have two daughters, Zeynep and Kiraz, and two sons, Can and Mehmet Bora.
Doğu Perinçek graduated from Ankara University's Faculty of Law in June 1964 with a bachelor of laws and began as an assistant lecturer on public law (State Theory and Public Rights) upon graduation. In 1968 he graduated with a doctorate of Laws. His doctoral thesis was titled ‘Türkiye’de Siyasi Partilerin İç Düzeni ve Yasaklanması Rejimi’ (The Internal Arrangement of Political Parties in Turkey and the Regime of Banning Them).
Perinçek was involved in the relaunch of the magazine Aydınlık in 1968, and was one of the founders of the Revolutionary Workers' and Peasants' Party of Turkey (1971), and of the Workers' and Peasants' Party of Turkey that succeeded it in 1974.
Perinçek withdrew from active politics after the 1980 military coup. In 1987 he was involved with the launch of the weekly news magazine 2000'e Doğru.
In the 1990s he was involved with the founding of the short-lived Socialist Party and then the Workers' Party. He was the Workers' Party's leader from its foundation in 1992 until it was rebranded in 2015 as "Patriotic Party", of which he has been the leader since.
In 1990, Perinçek was arrested and put in Diyarbakır Prison after the issue of the Law of Censorship and Exile.
Perinçek is notable as being the first person to be convicted by a court of law for denial of the Armenian Genocide. On 9 March 2007, he was found guilty by a Swiss district court of conscious violation of Swiss laws against genocide denial with a racist motivation and was fined CHF 12,000. The case was a result of Perinçek's description of the Armenian genocide as "an international lie" at a demonstration in Lausanne on 25 July 2005; he later clarified to a Swiss court that there had been massacres, but reiterated his belief that these did not constitute genocide. The verdict was confirmed by the Vaud cantonal appeal court on 19 June, and by the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland on 12 December 2007. Perinçek announced he will take recourse to the European Court of Human Rights. In December 2013 the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Switzerland violated the principle of freedom of expression. The court said that "Mr Perincek was making a speech of a historical, legal and political nature in a contradictory debate". After the ruling the government of Switzerland announced its decision to appeal the court’s ruling. On 3 June 2014 the European Court of Human Rights accepted the appeal to move on to the Grand Chamber to clarify the scope available to Swiss authorities in applying the Swiss Criminal Code to combat racism. A preliminary hearing on the appeal by Switzerland was held on 28 January 2015.
The Grand Chamber ruled in favour of Perinçek on 15 October 2015. In a statement issued by Armenia's counsel, Geoffrey Robertson and Amal Clooney said they were pleased the Court had endorsed their argument on behalf on Armenia. The judgment did not dispute the fact of the Armenian genocide and recognised Armenians' right under European law to have their dignity respected and protected, including the recognition of a communal identity forged through suffering following the annihilation of more than half their race by the Ottoman Turks.
The Grand Chamber also made clear that the court was not required to determine whether the massacres and mass deportations suffered by the Armenian people at the hands of the Ottoman Empire from 1915 onwards can be characterised as genocide within the meaning of that term under international law. It also added that it has no authority to make legally binding pronouncements, one way or the other, on this point. Furthermore, 7 judges, including then-President of the European Court of Human Rights Dean Spielmann stated in their dissenting opinion that it is self-evident that the massacres and deportations suffered by the Armenian people constituted genocide and that the Armenian genocide is a clearly established historical fact.
In Turkey, on 21 March 2008, Perinçek was detained as part of an investigation into the organization named Ergenekon. This followed the arrest and detention of 39 suspects in January 2008 during raids targeting Ergenekon.
The investigation's indictment also contains similar allegations, made by the National Intelligence Organization. Upon receiving news of Perinçek's arrest, Russian Eurasianist ideologue Aleksandr Dugin said "this operation against a pro-Russian group in Turkey has shown who our friends and foes are". This prompted allegations that he was affiliated with the group, which he adamantly denied. On 5 August 2013 Perinçek was sentenced to aggravated life imprisonment. On 10 March 2014, Doğu Perinçek was released from prison together with many other prisoners. After his release from prison Perinçek aligned himself with ruling Justice and Developmant Party and Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Türkiye'de Siyasi Partilerin İç Düzeni ve Yasaklanması Rejimi (A.Ü.H.F Publisher, 1968)
- Türkiye İhtilalci İşçi Köylü Partisi Davası SAVUNMA ( September 1974)
- Kıvılcımlı'nın Burjuva Devlet ve Ordu Teorisinin Eleştirisi (Aydınlık Publisher, 1975)
- Faşizm Halkın Mücadelesini Durduramaz- Sıkıyönetim Mahkemelerindeki Konuşma ve Dilekçeler (Aydınlık Publisher, 1975) Kıbrıs Meselesi (Aydınlık Publisher, 1976)
- Anayasa ve Partiler Rejimi Türkiye’de Siyasal Partilerin İç Düzeni ve Yasaklanması (Kaynak Publisher)
- Bozkurt Efsaneleri ve Gerçek (Aydınlık Publisher and Kaynak Publisher, 1976, 1997)
- Sosyal-Emperyalizm ve Revizyonizme Karşı 1970'te Açılan Mücadele (Aydınlık Publisher, July 1976)
- Sahte TKP'nin Revizyonist Programının Eleştirisi (Aydınlık Publisher, 1976)
- Doğru Eylem Nedir? (Aydınlık Publisher, 1978)
- Anarşinin Kaynağı ve Devrimci Siyaset (Aydınlık Publisher, 1979)
- Türkiye Devriminin Yolu (Aydınlık Publisher, 1979)
- Atatürk'ün Bugünkü Önemi (October 1980)
- Kemalist Devrim-1 Teorik Çerçeve (Aydınlık Publisher and Publisher, 1977, 1994)
- Kemalist Devrim-2 Din ve Allah (Kaynak Publisher, 1994-1998)
- Kemalist Devrim-3 Altı Ok (Kaynak Publisher, 1999)
- Kemalist Devrim-4 Kurtuluş Savaşı'nda Kürt Politikası (Kaynak Publisher, November 1999)
- Kemalist Devrim-5 Kemalizmin Felsefesi ve Kaynakları (Kaynak Publisher)
- Kemalist Devrim-6 Atatürk’ün CHP Program ve Tüzükleri (Kaynak Publisher, June 2008)
- Kemalist Devrim-7 Toprak Ağalığı ve Kürt Sorunu (Kaynak Publisher, March 2010)
- Anayasa ve Partiler Rejimi (Kaynak Publisher, May 1985)
- Osmanlı'dan Bugüne Toplum ve Devlet (Kaynak Publisher, 1987)
- Stalin'den Gorbaçov'a (Kaynak Publisher, January 1990)
- Lenin, Stalin, Mao'nun Türkiye Yazıları (Kaynak Publisher, 1977)
- Abdullah Öcalan ile Görüşme (Kaynak Publisher, 1990)
- Parti ve Sanat (Kaynak Publisher, 1992)
- Türk Sorunu (Kaynak Publisher, 1993)
- Aydın ve Kültür (Kaynak Publisher, 1996)
- Çiller Özel Örgütü (Kaynak Publisher, 1996)
- Avrasya Seçeneği: Türkiye İçin Bağımsız Dış Politika (Kaynak Publisher, 1996)
- ÖDP'nin Kimliği (Kaynak Publisher, 1998)
- Bir Devlet Operasyonu (Kaynak Publisher, 1999)
- 28 Şubat ve Ordu (Kaynak Publisher, 2000)
- Eşcinsellik ve Yabancılaşma (Kaynak Publisher, 2000)
- Karen Fogg'un E-Postalları (Kaynak Publisher, 2002)
- Mafyokrasi (Kaynak Publisher, 2004)
- Memidik Kaptan'a Masallar (Kaynak Publisher, May 1998)
- Gladyo ve Ergenekon (Kaynak Publisher, 2008)
- Türk Ordusu'nda Strateji Sorunu Üç Genelkurmay Başkanı (Kaynak Publisher, 2008)
- Tayyip Erdoğan'ın Yüce Divan Dosyası (Kaynak Publisher)
- Ermeni Sorununda Strateji ve Siyaset (Kaynak Publisher)
- Türk Ordusu Kuşatmayı Nasıl Yaracak? (Kaynak Publisher)
- Ergenekon Savunması (Kaynak Publisher)
- Gladyo ve Ergenekon (Kaynak Publisher)
- Bilimsel Sosyalizm ve Bilim (Kaynak Publisher)
- Türkiye Solu ve PKK (Kaynak Publisher, 2013)
- Asya Çağı'nın Öncüleri (Kaynak Publisher, 2015)
- Birinci Dünya Savaşı ve Türk Devrimi (Kaynak Publisher, 2015)
- Kadın Kitabı (Kaynak Publisher, March 2016)
- "The Swiss Federal Court condemns a denier of the Armenian Genocide" (PDF) (Press release). Swiss-Armenian Association. December 19, 2007.
- "Swiss wrongly convicted genocide denier: court". The Local. 15 October 2015.
- Biography at the Wayback Machine (archived April 24, 2011), personal site (in Turkish)
- "PERİNÇEK SOYADININ HİKAYESİ" (in Turkish). 2005-10-07. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- "DOĞU PERİNÇEK'İN DÖRT KOLDAN SOYAĞACI" (in Turkish). Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- Ayik, Zeki (1996-11-26). "Perincek: 'I am the architect of the struggle against the Mafia-Gladio dictatorship'". Turkish Daily News. Archived from the original on 2008-10-25. See "Who is Perincek?"
- Arman, Ayşe (2001-06-10). "En yakışıklı bilimsel sosyalist". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- "Perinçek: Hz. Muhammed büyük devrim lideri". NTV-MSNBC (in Turkish). 2007-07-17. Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- "Turkish politician fined over genocide denial". Swissinfo with agencies. 2007-03-09.
- Decision no. 6B_398/2007 (in French)
- "Genozid an Armeniern anerkannt," AP and SDA via Tages-Anzeiger, 19 December 2007 (in German)
- European Rights Court Agrees to Hear Swiss Appeal on Perincek Ruling. Asbarez. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2014
- Völkermord-Urteil wird überprüft. (German) Neue Zürcher Zeitung. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2014
- "Robertson, Clooney Issue Statement on ECHR Ruling". asbarez.com/.
- ECHR Grand Chamber Judgment, 2015
- Kesler, Musa (2008-08-15). "Putin’in adamları Ergenekon dosyasında". Milliyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Bilici, Abdulhamit (2008-04-05). "Only foreign support to Ergenekon". Today's Zaman. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Akkan, Faruk; Niyazbayev, Yasar (2008-10-29). "‘I support neo-Eurasianism, not Ergenekon,’ says Dugin". Today's Zaman. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- Today's Zaman, 5 August 2013, Long sentences for Ergenekon suspects, life for ex-army chief Archived August 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- BBC Türkçe, Ergenekon davası: Doğu Perinçek de tahliye edildi, 10. März 2014.
- "Perinçek Kimdir?" (PDF). Aydınlık. 1042. 2007-07-08. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-01-24.
|Party political offices|
|Leader of the Patriotic Party
February 15, 2015–present