DoMS NIT Trichy
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Location||Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Urban, 800 acres (3.2 km2)|
The Department of Management Studies (DoMS) was started in 1978 with a Masters of Engineering programme in Management. The MBA programme was started in 1982, which was later funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (India).
The department is ranked among the top 20 B-schools for placements and infrastructure (BT survey 1998 and 2000) and as one of the top 5 B-schools in South India. It is ranked the topmost on Return on investment. The programme is collaborative with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Tiruchirapalli and other industries.
Awards and recognitions
- "Best Specialization Award - Information Technology" in Indian B-school awards by Discovery Education Media Private Limited in 2013.
- NIT Trichy was awarded with the "Managerial excellence award" in the educational institutions category by Madras Management Association in 2013.
- "Outstanding B-School" in South India for the year 2013 by ABP News (Star Network).
- "Amar Ujala B-School Excellence Award" for the best business school in South India, 2012.
- "Bloomberg UTV award" in the category of Outstanding B-school (South) - 2012.
- 19th Dewang Mehta Business School Award for "Business School which encourages Innovations that leads to better Development"-2011.
- Outstanding B-School Award(South) by Star News for the year - 2011
Residential facilities are provided for students and staff on the campus, including a hospital, a Hindu temple, post and telegraph services, a telecom center, a State Bank of India branch with ATM facility, a reprographic center, a swimming pool, canteens and co-op stores.
NITT's computer support facility is the Octagon Computer Center, maintained by the Computer Support Group (CSG). Octagon mainly uses Microsoft Windows as its operating system. The web server runs on Fedora while web-based email server Horde runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux as OS. Its laboratories include:
- Lab 1 with 39 Pentium based PCs,
- Lab 2 with 52 Pentium 4 based PCs,
- Lab 3 also known as RECAL-Sun Lab, with 33 Sun Computers - a Sun sponsored lab running Solaris,
- Graphics Lab with 30 Pentium 4 based PCs, conference and seminar facilities, a CAD/CAM Centre with 20 high-end workstations and an in-house maintenance facilities.
The Annex building has 100 computers on each floor. The students internet lab is on the first floor, and a general lab. NIT-Trichy has a campus-wide-network Local Area Network with 10Gbit/s backbone and an 12 Mbit/s (1:1) internet connection through Software Technology Parks of India (STPI).
The Computer Support Group (CSG) maintains about 1500 PCs across the campus, and purchase computers, servers, printers, and software.
Library and resources
The college has a central library with more than one lakh documents consisting of technical books, reports, standards and back volumes of journals. The library subscribes to 179 periodicals (print) plus 1000+ (e-Journals) besides a holding of 15943 bound volumes of journals (back numbers). The library has 15,000 books in the book bank.
Institute has membership with the British Council Library in Chennai, and membership with DELNET, New Delhi, for interlibrary loan.
The DoMS, NITT has the largest network of LAN which offers the online services through the intranet. The e-library gives access to summer projects, contemporary reports and advance learning. DoMS, NITT, has a collection of e-journals, both subscribed and free.
Presently DoMS NITT subscribers to the CMIE database called PROWESS in electronic format, which details over 7000 companies. It also provides financial statements, ratio analysis, fund flows, product profiles, returns and risks on the stock markets.
Proquest is an online database which allows student and faculty to access research papers and other journal reviewed by peer scholars. EBSCO is one of the databases to which the college subscribes, which includes 1,200 journals online.
The residential zones comprise 16 men's hostels and 1 ladies' hostel. They accommodate more than 2500 undergraduate and postgraduate students and are managed by committees consisting of staff representatives and elected student representatives. The messes are equipped to serve both South Indian and North Indian dishes.
Each hostel is managed by an Associate Warden and each mess by a Warden. The first year undergraduate men's hostels have two resident Deputy Wardens, while the ladies' hostel has three resident Deputy Wardens. The Hostel Executive Committee headed by the Chief Warden, Dean (Students) and the DCW coordinates the work among wardens and deputy wardens. Hostels are provided with amenities like televisions, telephones, intercom, water purifiers and coolers, indoor and outdoor sports kits, and student-managed amenity centres. The hostel office consisting of Hostel Manager, one Senior Superintendent, and supporting staff looks after the day-to-day operations. The fourteen hostels are:
In order to get the students in tuned with the managerial skills and attuned with the skills of the corporate world the flagship events of DoMS—"FINecture", a finance Conclave and "mPULSE", a marketing Conclave—are organized every year. Distinguished personalities from various domain of expertise interact with the students at DoMS. FINecture is organized under the aegis of the finance club of DoMS, "VITHIYA" and "mPULSE" is organized under the aegis marketing club "MARKETUS".
FINecture as is the name, is a combination of 'Finance' and 'Lecture'. It is a finance conclave and is the flagship event of the club. FINecture gives the students an opportunity to interact with the captains of the industry and get a real time exposure to the issues concerning the industry as a whole. This face-to-face interaction helps the students at DoMS to understand the intricacies of the corporates and also to get a tip or two sustain in corporate world.
Firm games and cultural
Firm Games stand for the initials of the four forceful, diverse and talented teams containing plethora of sporting and artistic talent. The four teams are namely Falcons,Invincibles, Rudra and Morpheus. Sports is used as a medium in here to inculcate the ideals of teamwork. This also helps to break the ice between the seniors and the freshers and the faculties as well, who do take part to their fitting best.
After FIRM games it's time for FIRM cultural. Firm cultural in an out-an-out gala fest where each and every faculty take part with vigor and enthusiasm. The atmosphere during firm cultural is infectious. Both FIRM games and cultural are instrumental in building a bond between the students and the faculties thereby paving the path for increased interaction and flow of ideas, the ideals upon which FIRM was envisioned.
SEC Club stands on the pillars of societal commitments, entrepreneurial spirits, and cultural magmas. As a part of its continuous endeavour to instil in the principles of love and compassion recently SEC club is working with Anbagam, a home for the orphans and destitute to improve education there.
- Festember - The Cultural Fest of NIT Trichy
- Pragyan - The International Techno-Managerial Fest of NIT Trichy
- Reporter, Staff (3 March 2012). "NIT-T bags Bloomberg UTV award". The Hindu (Tiruchi). Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Reporter, Staff (10 December 2011). "NIT-T management department wins Dewang Mehta award". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- NITT Facilities and Services, nitt.edu
- "Students get practical insights into business analysis, IT consulting". Special Correspondent. TIRUCHI, September 24, 2012. Retrieved September 24, 2012. Check date values in:
- Reporter, Staff (3 April 2012). "Insightful conclave prepares future professionals in financial management". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- Staff Reporter (July 30, 2011). "Sports unites NIT-T students". The Hindu. Retrieved June 8, 2012.