|Single by Luke Bryan|
|from the album Doin' My Thing|
|Released||May 4, 2009|
|Luke Bryan singles chronology|
"Do I" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Luke Bryan. It was released in May 2009 as the lead-off single from his album Doin' My Thing. Bryan co-wrote the song with Dave Haywood and Charles Kelley of the group Lady Antebellum, whose co-lead singer Hillary Scott is featured on background vocals. "Do I" is about a couple questioning the status of their relationship.
The song received mixed reviews from critics wary of Bryan's delivery in the lyrics. "Do I" peaked at number 2 on both the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts respectively. It also gave Bryan his first top 40 hit on the Hot 100, charting at number 34. The song was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, and has sold 1,633,000 copies in that country as of November 2015. The song also charted in Canada, peaking at number 66 on the Canadian Hot 100.
The accompanying music video for the song was directed by Shaun Silva. The video is set in a high rise condominium where Bryan contemplates his relationship with his girlfriend.
Stephen M. Deusner of Engine 145 gave the song a thumbs-down. Although he described the lyrics favorably by saying that "the scenario is all the more affecting for its mundanity" and "'Do I' implies no hint of a happily ever after, and that ambiguity gives the lyrics extra impact", Deusner criticized Bryan's vocal performance, saying "it never quite conveys much desperation or despair. There’s no worry in his voice, nor does it sound like he’s trying to keep a stoic front." Chris Neal of Country Weekly described the song favorably in his review of the album, saying that it "shows a knack for convincingly delivering hymns to thwarted love."
"Do I" debuted on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart at number 53 for the chart week of May 9, 2009. In November 2009, the song became his first top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song has sold 1,633,000 copies in the U.S. as of December 2015.
The music video was directed by Shaun Silva and was filmed in a high rise condominium in downtown Nashville. It features Luke Bryan dealing with the relationship with his girlfriend. It premiered on Amazon.com on June 29, 2009.
Charts and certifications
- "Luke Bryan on CMT.com talks about "Do I" video". Luke Bryan. June 1, 2009. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Digital sheet music - Luke Bryan — Do I". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Publishing. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- Deusner, Stephen M. (2009-05-22). "Luke Bryan "Do I"". Engine 145. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Neal, Chris (2009-10-19). "Album reviews". Country Weekly. 16 (36): 50.
- Bjorke, Matt (November 23, 2015). "Top 30 Digital Country Singles: November 23, 2015". Roughstock. Cheri Media. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Luke Bryan. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Country Airplay for Luke Bryan. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Luke Bryan. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Luke Bryan. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "American single certifications – Luke Bryan – Do I". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH