Do Paise Ki Dhoop, Chaar Aane Ki Baarish
|Do Paise Ki Dhoop,Chaar Aane Ki Baarish|
|Directed by||Deepti Naval|
|Produced by||Kite Films|
|Written by||Deepti Naval|
|Music by||Sandesh Shandilya, Gulzar|
Do Paise Ki Dhoop, Chaar Aane Ki Baarish is a yet to be publicly released 2009, Bollywood film. Deepti Naval dons the director's role for the first time in this movie. The film has Manisha Koirala, Rajit Kapur and Naval’s nephew, newcomer, Sanaj Naval in the lead roles.
Juhi is an aging prostitute whose son Kaku is wheelchair-bound. She finds it challenging to take care of him with the limited number of customers that now find her attractive. Debu, a not so successful lyricist, is dumped by his boyfriend, and is out on streets. These characters, in need of money and love, bump into each other, after which their lives take a similar direction. Their relationships, born out of mutual needs, change their perceptions about each other, which in turn brings a change in them, finally, a sunny day after days of merciless downpour.
There are many sequences in this movie which are shot in the rain, during the Bombay monsoons, with Kiran Deohans of Jodha Akbar fame taking charge as the cinematographer. The music score is by Sandesh Shandilya, except the title song, which was done by Gulzar. The screenplay was written by Deepti Naval in three months.
This movie is Manisha Koirala's comeback movie, in a very sensitive role, said to be inspired by a real story.
The film was screened at the 2010 edition of Chicago South Asian Film Festival. Gapers Block gave a moderate rating, calling the plot unoriginal, comparing it to an "elongated episode of Will & Grace". The representation of Debu, who is semi-closeted, was also criticised, for its stereotyped gay characteristics. while ImagineIndia was of the opinion that,"...characters do not appear stereotypical, but a modern, sensitive and realistic portrait of people struggling to find happiness, with the ebbs and tides of human relationships" The film was screened in the competition section of ImagineIndia film festival (2010).
The movie was slated to release commercially on 8 March 2012 in India but was postponed.
- 2009-Best Feature Film -The Indian Film Festival of Houston
- 2010-Best Screenplay - The New York Indian Film Festival (MIAAC)
- 2010-Best Actor - Rajit Kapoor at ImagineIndia film festival (2010)
- Official Selection
- Special Screening venue Cannes Film Festival, 2009
- The Indian Film Festival of Houston, 2009
- Chicago South Asian Film Festival, 2010 (Opening film)
- The New York Indian Film Festival (MIAAC), 2010
- ImagineIndia Film Festival, Spain 2010
- Seattle South Asian Film Festival, 2011 (Opening film)
- India International Film Festival, Tampa Bay, USA, 2012
- First Annual Washington DC South Asian Film Festival, 2012
- Utpal Borpujari. "`The intricacies of bonding'". Deccan Herald.
- Amy Dittmeier (4 October 2010). "`Chicago South Asian Film Festival, Part One'". Gapers Block.
- Future Works (4 October 2010). "FutureWorks delivers brilliant DI for 'Do Paise Ki Dhoop Chaar Aane Ki Barish'". C G Tantra. External link in
- "Deepti Naval's directorial debut premieres in Cannes". Deccan Herald.
- Upala KBR (24 March 2011). "'Manisha Koirala's next inspired by a real story'". Mid Day.
- "'Do Paise ki Dhoop, Chaar Aane ki Baarish - Synopsis'". ImagineIndia. May 2010. External link in
- Paitandy, Priyadarshini (17 November 2011). "Soul act". The Hindu. Chennai, India.
- The Indian Film Festival of Houstan. "'Film Guide & Events'". The Indian Film Festival of Houstan. External link in
- Disha Kamra (17 July 2010). "'I wish I'd done more films: Deepti Naval". Times of India.
- "n e w s". Imagineindia.net. 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "SSAFF 2011 :: Fri - Cinema - Opening Night with Deepti Naval". Ssaff.tasveer.org. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "Event Schedule | India International Film Festival – Tampa Bay". Iifftampa.com. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "DO PAISE KI DHOOP, CHAAR AANE Ki BAARISH | DCSAFF 2012". Dcsaff.com. Retrieved 2013-01-23.