Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?"|
|Single by The North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative|
|Released||October 11, 2005|
"Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?" is a charity single inspired by "Do They Know It's Christmas?". It was released on October 11, 2005, in Canada on Vice Records by a cast of rock artists and other performers under the name "North American Halloween Prevention Initiative" (NAHPI). It reached number four on the Canada pop chart.
Like its inspiration, it is a charity song, with all proceeds being donated to UNICEF. According to the official press release, the song "stems from a frustration with other benefit songs' misguided, somewhat patronizing attitude, and Western-centric worldview."
- Win Butler & Régine Chassagne of Arcade Fire
- Buck 65
- David Cross
- Liane Balaban of Dessert
- Devendra Banhart (with Noah Georgeson, Jona Bechtolt & Luckey Remington)
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
- Gino Washington
- Syd Butler of Les Savy Fav
- J'aime Tambeur of Islands
- Malcolm McLaren
- Nardwuar the Human Serviette
- Jenny Lewis & Blake Sennett of Rilo Kiley
- Roky Erickson
- Chris Murphy of Sloan
- Asya & Chloe of Smoosh
- Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields
- Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
- Russell Mael of Sparks
- Steve Jocz of Sum 41
- Anna Waronker of that dog.
- Dan Boeckner & Spencer Krug of Wolf Parade
- Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Adam Gollner of We Are Molecules - guitar
- Nick Diamonds of Islands - keyboards
- Steve McDonald of Redd Kross - bass
- Joey Waronker - drums
- music & words by Nick Diamonds and Adam Gollner
- produced by Steven "Deadd Kross" McDonald, Adam "Ghoulner" Gollner, & Nick "Diamonds" Thorburn
- mixed by Danny Kalb at The Boat, Los Angeles, CA
- NAHPI band recorded by Steve McDonald at his studio in Los Angeles, California
Additional vocal engineers: Jamie Thompson (Gino's kitchen, Detroit), Cornelius Rapp (Studio Rapp, Berlin), Raf Katigbak (Studio 264, Manila), Greig Nori (bunkrock, Toronto), John Collins (JCDC, Vancouver), Russell Mael (Sparks' studio, Los Angeles), Danny Kalb (The Boat, Los Angeles), Mark Lawson (the White House, Casablanca), Stuart Sullivan (Wire Studios, Austin), Donn Devore (Avast! II, Seattle), Jona Becholt (VW camper, Estonia), Jay Ferguson (Jay's basement, Halifax), Matthew Illachewizch (Cambridge Bay Radio Station, Nunavut)
- choral leader: Anna Waronker
- additional throat singing: Tagaq
- additional sound effects: Régine Chassagne
- artwork & design by Nick Diamonds
track 3 remixed by Disco D at the Booty Barn, Brasil.
track 4 remixed by Th' Corn Gangg at Jamie's, Montreal.
- "Do They Know It's Halloween?" - (5:58)
- "Do They Know It's Halloween? (Radio Edit)" - (3:35)
- "Do They Know It's Halloween? (Disco D Remix)" - (3:48)
- "Do They Know It's Halloween? (Th' Corn Gangg Remix)" - (7:06)
- Jesse Fox Mayshark (October 5, 2005). "A Remake of a Charity Song, by the Elite of Indie Rock". New York Times. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative official website at the Wayback Machine (archived July 3, 2007)