Do Wah Diddy Diddy
|"Do Wah Diddy Diddy"|
|Single by Manfred Mann|
|from the album The Manfred Mann Album|
|B-side||"What You Gonna Do?"|
|Released||10 July 1964|
|Recorded||11 June 1964|
HMV POP 1320 (UK)|
|Songwriter(s)||Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich|
|Manfred Mann singles chronology|
"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" is a song written by Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich and originally recorded in 1963, as "Do-Wah-Diddy", by the American vocal group The Exciters. It was made internationally famous by the British band Manfred Mann.
Manfred Mann version
It was soon covered by British R&B, beat and pop band Manfred Mann. Manfred Mann's version was released on 10 July, and spent two weeks No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart in August, and two weeks at the No. 1 spot in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in October.
The song has been covered many times, notably by DJ Ötzi whose version titled "Do Wah Diddy" peaked at #9 on the Ö3 Austria Top 40, as well as charting in Germany, Switzerland, the UK and Ireland. Dutch girl group Dolly Dots recorded the song in 1982.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 82. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 166. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
-  Archived May 25, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "All the Number One Singles: 1964". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 June 2010.
- Bronson, Fred (1992). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Billboard Publications, Inc. p. 158. ISBN 0-8230-8298-9.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1964-10-12. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Do Wah Diddy Diddy". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- List of Top 25 singles for 1964 in Australia