|Birth name||Martin McKinney|
|Also known as||Doc|
|Born||August 27, 1971|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, songwriter|
Martin "Doc" McKinney (born August 27, 1971) is a Canadian-born, American-raised record producer and songwriter. McKinney was formerly one half of the former duo (now solo act) Esthero. His work with Toronto artist The Weeknd, whose McKinney-produced mixtapes House of Balloons and Thursday, were freely released in 2011, was met with widespread critical acclaim. McKinney returned to working with The Weeknd on his third album, Starboy, which he executive produced together with The Weeknd.
Life and career
Born in Canada and raised in Minneapolis, McKinney grew up in the heart of the Twin Cities indie scene and immersed in its ambience. During his adolescent years, McKinney played in various punk rock and hip hop based groups. While the cities' most influential contributions came out of the 1980s, McKinney was immersed in the music scene of that decade.
McKinney settled in Toronto in 1994, as an aspiring producer. McKinney was introduced to Jenny Bea Englishman – now known as "Esthero" – which led him to becoming one half of the then duo. The introduction was headed up by then EMI Publishing President, Michael McCarty. After co-writing and producing their entire breakthrough album Breath From Another, McKinney carefully transitioned Jenny-Bea into a solo act so she could return to the studio. McKinney went on to produce Res – co-writing and producing her critically acclaimed album, How I Do, alongside Santi White (Santigold). McKinney has since worked with Santi White (Santigold) on various projects, including her 2008 release of her Solid Gold Mixtape.
Since then, McKinney has had the opportunity to work with Sting, Drake, Kelis, Dr. Dre, G-Love, Raphael Saadiq, Mary J. Blige, Sinéad O'Connor, Alice Smith, Amanda Blank, Trouble Andrew, Ali Shaheed Muhammad (A Tribe Called Quest), Hawksley Workman as well as Latin artists Belinda, RBD and Debi Nova.
McKinney is a supporter of War Child (charity), GEM’s – Girls Educational and Mentoring Services, and Red Hot Organization (AIDS Awareness). As an appreciation of his support, he donates his work as a producer/songwriter/engineer.
|Release Date||Album Title||Artist||Song Titles||Label|
|1995||Single||k-os||Rise Like The Sun||Independent|
|1998||Breath from Another||Esthero||All Songs||Work/Sony Music|
|2001||How I Do||RES||All Songs||MCA/Universal|
|2002||Red Hot and Riot||Kelis||So Be It
|2002||Instant Vintage||Raphael Saadiq||Tek 2
|2002||Sex Sells||Stiffed||Wathca Gonna Go
|2003||Lover, Fighter||Hawksley Workman||Smoke Baby||Isadora Records/Universal Records|
|2003||Peace Songs||k-os||Livin In A World Corrupt||Isadora Records/Universal Music|
|2004||Sacred Love||Sting (musician)
|Stolen Car (Remix)||Interscope Records/Universal Music|
|2005||Wikked Lil' Grrrls||Esthero||Wikked Lil Grrrls
If Tha Mood
Bad Boy Clyde
|2005||Burned Again||Stiffed (band)||Run||Outlook|
|2006||Utopia||Belinda (entertainer)||Contigo O Sin Ti||EMI/Televisa|
|2007||Buck The World||Young Buck
feat. Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
|Slow Ya Roll||G-Unit/Interscope Records/Universal Records|
|2008||Solid Gold Mixtape||Santigold||Guns of Brooklyn||Downtown Records/Universal Records|
|2008||Between The Beautifuls||Hawksley Workman||Prettier Face
|Isadora Records/Universal Records|
|2008||Los Manlicious||Hawksley Workman||Pretty Girls
In My Blood
Fatty Wants to Dance
|Isadora Records/Universal Records|
|2009||Call and Response||Maroon 5||Best That We Break (Remix)||Interscope Records/Universal Records|
|2009||Shame On Me||Amanda Blank||I Love You||Downtown Records/Universal Records|
|2009||Para Olvdarte De Mi||RBD||Camino Al Sol||EMI/Telivisa|
|2009||Girls Educational and Mentoring Services||Mary J. Blige and Sinéad O'Connor||This Is To Mother You||Independent|
|2010||Luna Nueva||Debi Nova||We Were Young
Don't Wanna Forget
|Decca Records/Universal Records|
|2010||Dreams of a Troubled Man||Trouble Andrew||Stop Me
|2010||Stray Bullets||Cee Lo Green||"Champain"||Mixtape|
|2011||House of Balloons||The Weeknd||Producer||Independent|
|2011||Take Care||Drake||"The Ride"||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Republic|
|2011||Shake It Out||Florence and The Machine||"Shake it Out" The Weeknd Remix||Island Records|
|2011||Free Download||The Weeknd||"Trust Issues" The Weeknd Remix||Independent|
|2012||TBD||Yadi||" Guillotine Remix"||Warner UK|
|2012||Trilogy||The Weeknd||Producer/Executive Producer||XO,Universal Republic|
|2014||Free Download||Spooky Black||"Reason"||Independent|
|2016||Starboy||The Weeknd||Executive Producer||XO,Universal Republic|
- "The Weeknd ... House of Balloons". Silencenogood.net. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- Interview with Doc McKinney Paul Tingen. Retrieved on March 31, 2018
- Gawle, Darren. "Mis-Quote Me and I'll Kill You! - Interview". Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- Freebase. "Esthero". Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Breath from Another: Esthero: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- All Music by Rovi. "Esthero - Biography". Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Res - How I Do". Btmon.com. Retrieved 20 May 2006.
- "Martin McKinney". Discogs.com. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "This is to Mother You | Girls Educational & Mentoring Service (GEMS)". Gems-girls.org. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "Fashion By The Finest". Fashionbythefinest.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120328131727/http://www.boardsmag.com/articles/online/20090721/alidoc.html. Archived from the original on March 28, 2012. Retrieved April 29, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Hawksley Workman: Information from". Answers.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110108224138/http://www.callandresponse.com/blog/?m=200912. Archived from the original on January 8, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Martin McKinney Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.