Doc at the Radar Station
|Doc at the Radar Station|
|Studio album by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band|
|Recorded||Sound Castle Recording Studios, LA June 1980|
|Genre||Experimental rock, alternative rock, blues rock|
|Producer||Don Van Vliet|
|Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band chronology|
|Los Angeles Times||(Favorable)|
|New York Times||(Favorable)|
Although about half of the album's songs are based on old musical ideas, Mike Barnes states that "most of the revamping work built on skeletal ideas and fragments ... would have mouldered away in the vaults had they not been exhumed and transformed into full-blown, totally convincing new material."
The album cover was painted by Don Van Vliet. It was placed at number forty-nine on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Album Covers.
The tracks "A Carrot is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond", "Flavor Bud Living" and "Brickbats" were originally intended and recorded for the proposed album Bat Chain Puller but it wasn't released due to Frank Zappa owning the master tapes as DiscReet cofounders Herb Cohen and Zappa feuded over the production of the album, because Cohen funded the production with Zappa's royalty checks.
In 2011, 4 Men with Beards released a 180-gram version of the album that is being distributed by City Hall Records.
All tracks written by Don Van Vliet
|3.||"A Carrot is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond"||1:38|
|4.||"Run Paint Run Run"||3:40|
|1.||"Dirty Blue Gene"||3:51|
|2.||"Best Batch Yet"||5:02|
|4.||"Flavor Bud Living"||1:00|
|5.||"Sheriff of Hong Kong"||6:34|
|6.||"Making Love to a Vampire with a Monkey on My Knee"||3:11|
- Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet) – vocals, Chinese gongs, harmonica, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
- John French – slide guitar, guitar, marimba, bass, drums (on "Ashtray Heart" and "Sheriff of Hong Kong")
- Bruce Lambourne Fowler – trombone
- Jeff Moris Tepper – slide guitar, guitar, nerve guitar
- Eric Drew Feldman – synthesizer, bass, mellotron, grand piano, electric piano
- Robert Arthur Williams – drums
- Additional personnel
- Huey, S. "Doc at the Radar Station - Captain Beefheart | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Christgau, R. "Robert Christgau: CG: Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Carman. "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Matsumoto, J. "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Palmer, R. "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Rolling Stone Album Guide (1992) ISBN 0-679-73729-4
- Barnes, Mike. Captain Beefheart: The Biography. London: Quartet Books, 2000.