Doc of the Dead
|Doc of the Dead|
Official release poster
|Directed by||Alexandre O. Philippe|
Kerry Deignan Roy
Alexandre O. Philippe|
George A. Romero
|Music by||Shawn King|
|Edited by||Chad Herschberger|
|Distributed by||Exhibit A Pictures|
Doc of the Dead is a 2014 American documentary film written and directed by Alexandre O. Philippe that focuses on the zombie genre. The film had its world premiere on March 10, 2014 at South by Southwest, followed by a television premiere on Epix on March 15, and features several entertainers that have impacted, and been impacted by, the zombie genre and culture.
Doc of the Dead takes a look at the zombie genre in film, literature, and in pop culture as a whole. Several entertainers from various fields such as film and literature are brought in and interviewed on how zombies have changed not only them, but how they entertain others and how the genre has influenced and impacted society at large.
Fearnet praised the film for incorporating as much information as it did, as they felt that it would help the documentary appeal to both audiences familiar and unfamiliar with the zombie genre while alienating neither. In contrast, The Hollywood Reporter remarked that they found the documentary an "Entertaining but lightweight pop-culture doc". Indiewire commented that Doc of the Dead did have some sections that were "more or less dead on their feet" but that the "slower parts of Doc of the Dead don't diffuse the overall intention of the documentary, which is to celebrate where the zombie came from (the first open grave, if you will), try and gauge its current cultural impact and see how these brain-eating scenarios could play out in real life." The Austin Chronicle issued a similar opinion in their review, where they wrote "Though not without its moments (especially the slow-moving vs. fast-moving zombie debate), overall the doc seems rote, running a familiar gamut: history, pop-psych theories, tons of movie clips, etc."
- Snider, Mike. "'Doc of the Dead' spans the life of zombie trend". USA Today. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Collis, Clark. "'Doc of the Dead': Bruce Campbell on that time he officiated at a zombie wedding". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Willmore, Alison. "Tom Savini Explains The Enduring Appeal of Zombies, In Film and On TV". Indiewire. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "Doc of the Dead". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- Weinberg, Scott. "FEARNET Movie Review: 'Doc of the Dead'". Fearnet. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- DeFore, John. "Doc of the Dead: SXSW Review". THR. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Taylor, Drew. "SXSW Review: 'Doc Of the Dead' Explores How Zombies Rose From The Grave & Strangled Pop Culture". Indiewire. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Calderaro, Marc. "SXSW Film Review: 'Doc of the Dead'". Austin Chronicle. Retrieved March 15, 2014.