|Single by Aqua|
|from the album Aquarium|
|Released||8 December 1997|
|Format||CD single, cassette, 12"|
|Genre||Eurodance, bubblegum pop|
|Writer(s)||Anders Øland, Søren Rasted, Claus Norreen, René Dif|
|Producer(s)||Johnny Jam, Delgado, Claus Norreen, Søren Rasted|
|Aqua singles chronology|
"Doctor Jones" is a song by Danish dance-pop group Aqua. Released as the band's fifth single overall, it was the follow-up to their most successful song "Barbie Girl" in many regions. "Doctor Jones" was a similarly pop-oriented hit which sold well across the globe and ended the assumptions that Aqua would be a one-hit wonder; although they would remain so in America as "Barbie Girl" was their only hit there until "Lollipop (Candyman)" was released and hit the top 40 on the Hot 100.
"Doctor Jones" was released around the world in a number of months, with the first release being in October 1997. Most of the releases would be in November 1997, with it hitting the charts in Japan, Scandinavia and mainland Europe in that month. December 1997 saw the Australian release achieve a successful chart placing at No. 1 for seven consecutive weeks, before the song made its impact in the UK in February of the following year. There, it became the group's second number one single, topping the chart for three weeks.
- 1 Music video
- 2 Track listings
- 3 Release history
- 4 Charts
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The music video implies the song is based around the Indiana Jones character from the film series of the same name, with René Dif playing Jones and rescuing his fellow band members from a stereotypical voodoo tribe. The title logo is written in a similar form to that of the Indiana Jones logo. There is also a shot of airplane's flight path over a map, which is used in the film series. The lyric "Dr. Jones, wake up now" may also be a reference to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where Short Round implores Indiana Jones to "wake up" after being brainwashed by the blood of Kālī Ma, or during a scene on an airplane when Willie Scott says, "Calling Dr. Jones, wake up!".
The video was one of five Aqua-videos directed by Peder Pedersen, who would later spoof the Indiana Jones-movies again in his computer-animated short film Lego Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Brick (2008).
VHS video promo
European 12" vinyl
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||8|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||5|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||3|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||3|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||2|
|Switzerland (Swiss Hitparade)||11|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||1|
|United States (Hot 100)||20|
|United States (Hot Dance Club Songs)||18|
|UK Singles Chart||12|
"You Make Me Wanna" by Usher
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
1 February 1998 – 15 February 1998 (3 weeks)
"My Heart Will Go On" by Céline Dion
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart number-one single
28 December 1997 (1 weeks)
"My Heart Will Go On" by Céline Dion
- "australian-charts.com - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "austrian-charts.com - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "ultratop.be - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "finishcharts.com - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Finnishcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Aqua singles, German Singles Chart" (in German). Musicline.de. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Irish Singles Chart, database". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Top Annuali Single: 1998". Hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "charts.org.nz - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Billboard - Google Books". Books.google.ca. 1998-05-30. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "swedishcharts.com - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "hitparade.ch - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Chart Stats - Aqua - Doctor Jones". Archived from the original on 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2011-09-04.