Doctor Who: Return to Earth
|Doctor Who: Return to Earth|
Doctor Who: Return to Earth is a video game for the Nintendo Wii based on the BBC TV series Doctor Who, developed by British studio Asylum Entertainment. The game was released for distribution in limited markets, including the United Kingdom, Australia, and selected European markets.
It was the second Doctor Who video game released for the Wii after the Wii port of Top Trumps: Doctor Who.
the game received negative reviews from critics.
The Doctor and Amy arrive on the deserted starship the Lucy Gray, which was the first ship to return to Earth after the solar storms of the 26th century. However, on the ship are the Daleks and Cybermen, who are after the dangerous Time Axis. The Doctor and Amy must prevent them from obtaining it.
On 24 August 2010, it was revealed the game would be titled Doctor Who: Return to Earth and would be released with a DS counterpart titled Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth. In a press release managing director Simon Bailey of Asylum Entertainment said "We are incredibly excited to be collaborating with BBC Worldwide on these two new games," further saying "It is our firm belief that the franchise has massive potential on the Nintendo DS and Wii formats and it's an honour to be bringing 'Doctor Who' video games to the show's huge fan base".
Doctor Who: Return To Earth features the Cybermen and Daleks, unlike its Nintendo DS counterpart, which features The Doctor's other enemies.
On 6 September 2010, it was announced that the game would support a Wii Remote accessory modelled to look like the Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.
Australian video game talk show Good Game's two presenters gave the game a 1 and 1.5 out of 10, saying, "It's one of the worst games I've ever played." They also stated that the graphics looked like a PlayStation or Nintendo 64 game and that the player spends as much time trying to see the enemies as trying to avoid them. The reviewers went on to state that the game had only two good points, the Sonic Screwdriver Wii remote cover and that it makes Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth (which was given scores of 2 and 3 out of 10 by them) look like a masterpiece.
- Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth - another video game released alongside Return to Earth
- List of video games notable for negative reception
- Stuart, Keith (August 24, 2010). "Doctor Who games announced for Nintendo DS and Wii". The Guardian. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "BBC - Press Office - Doctor Who console games to debut on Nintendo DS and Wii". BBC. August 24, 2010. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Smith, Tony (November 7, 2013). "The CURSE of WHO: WHY has there never been a decent videogame with the Doctor?". The Register. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Birch, Aaron (November 22, 2010). "Doctor Who: Return To Earth Nintendo Wii review". Den of Geek. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- French, Dan (March 12, 2010). "'Doctor Who' game heads to Nintendo Wii". Digital Spy. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Warmoth, Brian (August 24, 2010). "'Doctor Who' Games Coming To DS And Wii (Outside The U.S.)". MTV Multiplayer. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Sorrel, Charlie (September 6, 2010). "Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver". Wired. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Blyth, Jon (November 17, 2010). "Return to Earth is an insult to Doctor Who fans". Nintendo of Europe GmbH. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "Good Game stories - Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth & Doctor Who: Return to Earth". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. November 29, 2010. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "Games review – Doctor Who: Return To Earth should be exterminated". Metro. December 8, 2010. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Reynolds, Matthew (November 19, 2010). "'Doctor Who: Return To Earth' (Wii)". Digital Spy. Retrieved December 4, 2018.