Doctor Who Unbound
Doctor Who Unbound is a series of audio plays produced by Big Finish Productions. Free from the constraints of continuity, the Doctor Who Unbound audios present a series of "What if...?" scenarios, and cast new actors in the role of the Doctor.
David Warner reprised his version of the Doctor in 2016, in volume 3 of The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield subtitled The Unbound Universe, and will do so again in volume 4, Ruler of the Universe, in 2017.
In Exile, Arabella Weir plays a female incarnation of the Doctor. American alternative weekly Houston Press's Jef Rouner described her portrayal as "one of the most melancholy of all the Doctors." Other actors who played the Doctor included Geoffrey Bayldon, David Collings, Derek Jacobi, and David Warner.
Sympathy for the Devil features UNIT during the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong in 1997. Sympathy for the Devil also saw the return of The Brigadier (Nicholas Courtney) as well as feature actors Mark Gatiss and David Tennant.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Doctor||Featuring||Release Date||Prod.
|1||"Auld Mortality"||Nicholas Briggs||Marc Platt||Geoffrey Bayldon||Susan Foreman||May 2003||BFPDWUNCD01|
|"What if... the Doctor and Susan had never left Gallifrey?"|
|2||"Sympathy for the Devil"||Gary Russell||Jonathan Clements||David Warner||The Brigadier, the Master||June 2003||BFPDWUNCD02|
|"What if... the Doctor had not been UNIT's scientific advisor?"|
|3||"Full Fathom Five"||Jason Haigh-Ellery||David Bishop||David Collings||TBA||July 2003||BFPDWUNCD03|
|What if... the Doctor believed that the ends justified the means?|
|4||"He Jests at Scars..."||Gary Russell||Gary Russell||The Valeyard||Mel||August 2003||BFPDWUNCD04|
|"What if... the Valeyard had won" at the end of The Trial of a Time Lord?|
|5||"Deadline"||Nicholas Briggs||Robert Shearman||Derek Jacobi||TBA||September 2003||BFPDWUNCD05|
|What if... Doctor Who did not materialise as a television series?|
|6||"Exile"||Nicholas Briggs||Nicholas Briggs||Arabella Weir||TBA||September 2003||BFPDWUNCD06|
|"What if... the Doctor had escaped the justice of the Time Lords" at the end of The War Games?|
|7||"A Storm of Angels"||John Ainsworth||Marc Platt||Geoffrey Bayldon||Susan Foreman||January 2005||BFPDWUNCD07|
|"What if... the Doctor really had changed history, even just the tiniest bit?"|
|8||"Masters of War"||Jason Haigh-Ellery||Eddie Robson||David Warner||The Brigadier, Davros, Daleks, Thals||December 2008||BFPDWUNCD08|
|In the sequel to Sympathy for the Devil, the Doctor and the Brigadier encounter Davros on Skaro, with the Daleks having sieged the Thal cities once again. But why are the Thals being kept alive?|
Den of Geek's Andrew Blair selected Doctor Who Unbound as one of the ten Doctor Who stories that would make great musicals. The Mary Sue's Alan Kistler said "fans enjoyed imagining these alternate Doctors" of David Warner and Arabella Weir. American alternative weekly newspaper Houston Press's Jef Rouner said the series "fielded a fantastic set of stories."
- Crossan, Jamie (February 13, 2013). "Doctor Who fans launch campaign for Sue Perkins to be next Time Lord". NME. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Fulton, Rick (June 2, 2014). "It's Time Lords and Ladies as we explore the women who could easily regenerate into Doctor Who". Daily Record (Scotland). Trinity Mirror. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Kistler, Alan (December 27, 2013). "Agent of S.T.Y.L.E. – The Alternate Versions of Doctor Who". The Mary Sue. Abrams Media. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Peck, Matthew Wace (August 3, 2013). "Op-Ed: Is the new Doctor Who a woman?". Digital Journal. digitaljournal.com. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Rouner, Jef (September 20, 2013). "Doctor Who: The 10 Best Alternative Universe Doctors". Houston Press. Voice Media Group. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Westthorp, Alex (June 5, 2014). "Doctor Who: the film careers of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi". Den of Geek. Dennis Publishing. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Singh, Harminder (July 1, 2016). "Everything you need to know about Hong Kong’s return to Chinese sovereignty". South China Morning Post. Alibaba Group. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Blair, Andrew (August 28, 2013). "Doctor Who: 10 stories that would make great musicals". Den of Geek. Dennis Publishing. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- McAlpine, Fraser (September 2016). "Doctor Who's Day Roundup: Remaking the Music". Anglophenia. BBC America. Retrieved April 13, 2017.