Doctor of Fine Arts
Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.) is doctoral degree in fine arts, may be given as an honorary degree (a degree honoris causa) or an earned professional degree (in the UK). Doctoral programmes leading to DFAs are of equivalent level as a PhD, with the same requirement to demonstrate new knowledge, but typically contain a practical component and a more structured programme of learning than a PhD. DFA programmes are offered by universities including University of Hertfordshire and University of East London.
The honorary degree is typically conferred to honor the recipient who has made a significant contribution to society in the arts. Notable individuals who have been conferred the honor are Zamri Zainuddin from Malaysia, Michelle Burton, Frank Stella, Richard Serra, Stephen Colbert, Carmen De Lavallade, Anna Deavere Smith, Jacques d'Amboise, Bill Pullman, Abelardo Morell, Twyla Tharp, Kanye West, Gordon Parks, Jack Nicholson. and Meryl Streep
At Yale University, the D.F.A. is conferred on students who hold a Master of Fine Arts degree in dramaturgy and dramatic criticism from the Yale School of Drama, and who have "completed M.F.A. qualifying comprehensive examinations, and have written a dissertation of distinction whose subject has been approved by the D.F.A. committee" of faculty.
- Doctor of Arts – sometimes an honorary and sometimes an earned degree
- Doctor of Humane Letters – typically an honorary degree
- Doctor of Music – sometimes an honorary and sometimes an earned degree
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) – typically an earned degree
- Frank Stella to Receive Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts – BU Today
- Williams College – Commencement – Honorary Degree Citation 2008
- Stephen Colbert, Knox College, 2006 – Top 10 Commencement Speeches – TIME
- The Juilliard Journal Online
- National Dance Institute
- Alfred University
- Abelardo Morell – James Hyman Photography
- Princeton – Honorary degrees Awarded Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "princeton" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Some Wisdom from Jack... and Binder!" – BlogDailyHerald. June 3, 2011.
- Yale School of Drama