Doctors for Cannabis Regulation
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Formation||September 30, 2015|
|Purpose||Legalization, regulation and control of cannabis|
Doctors for Cannabis Regulation (DFCR) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, international, educational organization comprising physicians, researchers, and government officials who are dedicated to the legalization, taxation, and regulation of cannabis in the United States and around the world. DFCR was founded on September 30, 2015 by Dr. David L. Nathan, MD, DFAPA and now has more than 160 members.
DFCR serves as a voice for physicians who believe that cannabis prohibition has failed and that the misuse of cannabis should be treated outside the criminal justice system as a public health issue. DFCR’s physician members strive neither to minimize nor to exaggerate scientific literature about the risks and benefits of cannabis use. DFCR promotes evidence-based strategies to prevent recreational marijuana use by minors and misuse by adults. Its Declaration of Principles establishes a number of reasons why the prohibition of cannabis has proven harmful, ineffective, and unnecessary and details why DFCR supports cannabis legalization for adults, preventive education of minors, and regulation of the industry.
Membership in DFCR is open to anyone but members are predominantly health professionals and physicians.
- Americans for Safe Access
- Drug Policy Alliance
- Marijuana Policy Project
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
- NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws)
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy
- War on Drugs
- "More and more doctors want to make marijuana legal". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "About DFCR and Its Mission". dfcr.org. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "Declaration of Principles". dfcr.org. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- "For Healthcare Professionals". Retrieved on 10 September 2016.