This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)
|Distributor(s)||Allegro Music (US)|
Proper Music (UK)
|Country of origin||Scotland|
Document Records is an independent record label, founded in Austria and now based in Scotland, that specializes in reissuing vintage blues and jazz. The company has been recognised by The Blues Foundation, being honoured with a Keeping the Blues Alive Award. Document Records is the only UK-based recipient of the award in 2018.
Document was established in 1986 by Johnny Parth, the former owner of Roots Records, in Austria to make previously unreleased blues and gospel records from before the 1942–44 musicians' strike available on a number of European labels. In 1990, Parth felt obliged to switch production from LP to CD. With this change, he consolidated the catalogue into complete reissues in chronological order, increasingly on the Document label as other label names were dropped. The new policy was to reissue as many as possible of the recordings listed in the book, Blues and Gospel Records: 1890–1943. The scope was expanded to include bluegrass, spirituals, jazz, and other rural American genres (collectively known as roots music), made between 1900 and 1945. Since 2000 it has been owned by Gary and Gillian Atkinson and is based in Newton Stewart, Scotland.
- "Keeping the Blues Alive Award - Blues Foundation". Blues.org. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- Dixon, Robert M. W.; Godrich, John; and Rye, Howard (1997), Blues and Gospel Records, 1890–1943. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-816239-1.
- Rye, Howard (2001). Afterword, in Dixon, Robert M.W., and Godrich, John, Recording the Blues. Republished in Oliver, Paul, et al. (2001). Yonder Come the Blues. Cambridge University Press. pp. 335–336. ISBN 0-521-78777-7.
- Rye, Howard (2006). "Document" entry in Encyclopedia of the Blues. Routledge. ISBN 0-415-92700-5.
- "Document Records: An Unlikely Treasure Trove of Vintage Gospel Music". Crossrhythms.co.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Blues Bring Joy to Tiny Scots Record Label as US Archive Secures Future". The Scotsman. 21 January 2006. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Illustrated Leroy Dallas discography". Wirz.de. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Search Document Records Blues and Jazz artists". Document-records.com. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Female Blues Singers, Vol. 6: E/F/G". Amazon.co.uk. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Various Artists – Female Blues Singers Vol. 6 DOC5510". Downhomemusic.com. Retrieved 1 June 2018.