Dodds Township, Jefferson County, Illinois
Location in Jefferson County
Jefferson County's location in Illinois
|• Total||36.96 sq mi (95.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.77 sq mi (95.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) 0.54%|
|Elevation||440 ft (134 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||2,604|
|• Density||72/sq mi (28/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62816, 62864, 62872|
Dodds Township bears the name of James Dodds, a pioneer settler.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.96 square miles (95.7 km2), of which 36.77 square miles (95.2 km2) (or 99.49%) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (or 0.54%) is water. The township is centered at 38°15'N 88°52'W (38.255,-89.875). It is traversed north-south by Interstate Route 57 and State Route 37, east-west by Interstate 64 and also by portions of State Routes 142 and 148.
Cities, towns, villages
- Mount Vernon (south edge)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Mt. Vernon Township (north)
- Pendleton Township (east)
- Moore's Prairie Township (southeast)
- Spring Garden Township (south)
- Elk Prairie Township (southwest)
- McClellan Township (west)
- Shiloh Township (northwest)
The township contains these seven cemeteries: Arnold, Bethel Memorial, Cub Prairie, Hams Grove, Meddows, Old Orchard and Warren.
Airports and landing strips
- Davy Jones Airport
- Illinois' 19th congressional district
- State House District 107
- State Senate District 54
- "Dodds Township, Jefferson County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Callary, Edward (29 September 2008). Place Names of Illinois. University of Illinois Press. p. 94. ISBN 978-0-252-09070-7.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.