Dog Days (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ken Marino|
|Story by||Elissa Matsueda|
|Music by||Craig Wedren|
|Edited by||Brian Scofield|
|Distributed by||LD Entertainment|
|Box office||$7.6 million|
Dog Days is a 2018 American romantic comedy film directed by Ken Marino and written by Elissa Matsueda and Erica Oyama. It stars Eva Longoria, Nina Dobrev, Vanessa Hudgens, Lauren Lapkus, Thomas Lennon, Adam Pally, Ryan Hansen, Rob Corddry, Tone Bell, Jon Bass and Finn Wolfhard. The plot follows the intertwining lives of various dogs and their owners around Los Angeles.
The movie was released on August 8, 2018, by LD Entertainment, and received mixed reviews from critics.
- Eva Longoria as Grace
- Nina Dobrev as Elizabeth
- Elizabeth Caro as Amelia
- Vanessa Hudgens as Tara
- Lauren Lapkus as Daisy
- Thomas Lennon as Greg
- Adam Pally as Dax
- Ryan Hansen as Peter
- Tone Bell as Jimmy
- Jon Bass as Garrett
- Finn Wolfhard as Tyler
- Ron Cephas Jones as Walter
- Jasmine Cephas Jones as Lola
- Jessica Lowe as Amy
- Jessica St. Clair as Ruth
- Michael Cassidy as Dr. Mike
- David Wain as Wacky Wayne
- Rob Corddry as Kurt
- Tig Notaro as Danielle
- John Gemberling as Ernie
- Toks Olagundoye as Nina
- Tony Cavalero as Stanley
- Brooke Bell as Liza
In August 2017, it was announced Ken Marino would direct the film, from a screenplay by Elissa Matsueda and Erica Oyama, with Mickey Liddell, Jennifer Monroe and Pete Shilaimon producing under their LD Entertainment banner. In September 2017, Finn Wolfhard, Vanessa Hudgens, Tone Bell, Adam Pally, Eva Longoria, and Jon Bass joined the cast of the film. In October 2017, Tig Notaro, Rob Corddry, Michael Cassidy, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Ron Cephas Jones, John Gemberling, Ryan Hansen, Thomas Lennon, Lauren Lapkus, Jessica Lowe, Toks Olagundoye, Jessica St. Clair and David Wain joined the cast of the film.
In the United States and Canada, Dog Days was projected to gross $5–9 million from 2,442 theaters over its five-day opening weekend. The film made $635,164 on its opening day, a Wednesday, and another $405,000 on its second for a two-day total of $1 million. It went on to have an opening weekend of $2.6 million, for a five-day debut of just $3.6 million. In its second weekend of release, the film was removed from 55 theaters, dropping 66% and grossing $868,664.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 59% based on 59 reviews, with an average rating of 5/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Dog Days is frivolous but frothy, sporting a forgettable cast of human characters but a lovable troupe of pooches that ought to delight viewers looking for a gentle affirmation of humanity's bond with their furry friends". On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 47 out of 100, based on reviews from 19 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale.
Though Sarah Melton from Exclaim! criticized the film for being too cheesy and predictable, she also said, "For a lighthearted summer comedy that piles in as many cute dogs, kids and clichés as it can, Ken Marino's Dog Days has some goofy charm."
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 10, 2018). "'The Meg' Chomps A Huge $4M On Thursday Night – Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- "Dog Days (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (September 21, 2017). "'How To Be A Latin Lover's Ken Marino To Next Helm 'Dog Days' For LD Entertainment". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 22, 2017). "'It' & 'Stranger Things' Star Finn Wolfhard Cast In 'Dog Days'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (September 25, 2017). "Vanessa Hudgens Added To Cast Of Ken Marino's 'Dog Days'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Day-Ramos, Dino (September 26, 2017). "'Disjointed' Actor Tone Bell To Star In 'Dog Days'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (September 26, 2017). "Adam Pally Joins Nina Dobrev in Ken Marino Comedy 'Dog Days' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 28, 2017). "Eva Longoria In Talks To Join Comedy Film 'Dog Days'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 29, 2017). "'Baywatch' Actor Jon Bass Cast In 'Dog Days'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (October 25, 2017). "More Join Eva Longoria In 'Dog Days' For LD Entertainment, Director Ken Marino". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Roth, Eylse (September 28, 2017). "Greenlit: 'Dog Days' Continues to Round Out its Cast Ahead of L.A. Shoot". Backstage. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Dog Days". Movie Insider. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 8, 2018). "Box-Office Preview: Big-Budget 'The Meg' Heads for Tepid $20M-Plus U.S. Debut". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 12, 2018). "'August Audiences Get Hooked On 'Meg' Shelling Out $44.5M". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Dog Days (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 4, 2018.
- "Dog Days Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Melton, Sarah (August 10, 2018). "'Dog Days' Review: Goofy Charm Lacks Payoff". Exclaim!. Retrieved August 10, 2018.