Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018
|Long title||An Act to prohibit the slaughter of dogs and cats for human consumption, and for other purposes.|
|Nicknames||Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018|
|Enacted by||the 115th United States Congress|
|Effective||December 20th, 2018|
|Public law||Pub.L. 115–334 (text) (pdf)|
The Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018 (H.R. 6720), also called the DCMTPA, was a bipartisan bill outlawing the consumption of cats and dogs in the United States. It passed the House by voice vote on September 12, 2018. The Senate received it on September 17 and referred it to the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry. It was passed by the Senate as part of the 2018 Farm Bill on December 11, 2018. The House passed the reconciled Farm Bill on December 12. On December 20th, 2018, the president signed it into law.
The law penalizes "the commercial Slaughter Of cats and dogs with fines of up to $5,000". It prohibits shipping, sale and transportation of animals for the "purpose of slaughter for human consumption", except for Native American tribes performing religious ceremonies.
The bill was first introduced in March 2017 by Republican Representative Vern Buchanan and Democratic Representative Alcee Hastings. In November 2017, it passed the House Foreign Affairs Committee as part of an effort to encourage the end of the dog and cat meat trade in countries such as China, South Korea, Vietnam, and India.
The bill was promoted by animal welfare groups such as the Animal Hope and Wellness Foundation (AHWF), which saves animals from the meat trade around the world. Before the passage of the bill, the practice was rare, but still technically legal in 44 states.
- "H.R.6720 - Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018". congress.gov. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Press, The Associated. "President Trump signs the Farm Bill making dog and cat meat illegal in the United States". www.wrdw.com. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "President Donald J. Trump Is Improving American Agriculture Programs". The White House. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- Anapol, Avery. "House passes bill outlawing the eating of cats and dogs". The Hill. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Derby, Kevin (2018-12-22). "Vern Buchanan's, Alcee Hastings' Proposal Banning Slaughter of Cats and Dogs for Human Consumption Now Law". Sunshine State News | Florida Political News. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "US House bans eating of dogs and cats - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "Dog and Cat Meat Prohibition Act Passes House and Senate". www.businesswire.com. 2018-12-13. Retrieved 2018-12-27.