Dogfights: The Game
|Dogfights: The Game|
|Developer(s)||Kuma Reality Games|
|Genre(s)||Combat flight simulator|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Dogfights: The Game is a free episodic, combat flight simulator PC game that is based on the History Channel television show Dogfights. Developed by Kuma Reality Games, a developer which primarily makes freeware games; Dogfights: The Game is distributed in episodes freely through Kuma Reality Games' game client for the PC.
Each game episode of Dogfights: The Game is based on actual episodes from the Dogfights television series. Dogfights: The Game aims to put players into the cockpit of some of history's most famous fighter planes and let players duke it out. Dogfights: The Game primarily deals with the World War II episodes of the show, recreating battles from episodes such as "Thunderbolt" and "Japanese Kamikaze".
Dogfights: The Game is a combat flight simulator that utilizes Valve's Source Engine. Episodes consist of single player "flight school" missions where users learn to pilot their aircraft and multiplayer maps where players gather online to play against each other. Dogfights: The Game features a variety of different aircraft at the player's disposal depending on episode choice and currently there are six episodes for play.
Currently six episodes have been released
- Episode 1: The Zero Killer - Players can fly as either the F6F Hellcat or the A6M Zero in matches.
- Episode 2: Japanese Kamikaze - On one side the American forces must protect the USS Laffey in the F4U Corsair from the Japanese Aichi D3A dive-bombers.
- Episode 3: German Kamikaze - In this episode, players in P-51 Mustangs will witness how the Germans utilized the kamikaze tactic in an attempt to save themselves from a failing war.
- Episode 4: Thunderbolt - An episode featuring the P-47 Thunderbolt, which fought the Focke-Wulf Fw-190. Takes place over the French countryside.
- Episode 5: No Room for Error - This episode has players dogfighting in low altitude situations. Players must avoid mountains, bridges, water and other obstacles in pursuit of their opponents. P-51 Mustangs vs. Messerschmitt Bf-109. Takes place over the Swiss Alps.
- Episode 6: Night Fighters - This episode pits the German Stuka against the British Beaufighter. Players fight relying on radar at the dead of night.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Gaudiosi, John. "History's 'Dogfights' flies online with Kuma game", Hollywood Reporter, June 4, 2007
- Graft, Kris. "'View It Then Do It' with History Channel Deal", Next Generation, June 4, 2007[permanent dead link]
- Chapman, David. "Kuma and the History Channel Team Up for Episodic", Game Almighty, June 5, 2007
- Liz, Jose. "Kuma Games Partners With The History Channel", PGNx Media, June 4, 2007
- Dogfights: The Game on PC GameZone