This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 31, 1995|
|Tha Dogg Pound chronology|
|Singles from Dogg Food|
|Los Angeles Times|||
Dogg Food is the debut studio album by the American hip hop group Tha Dogg Pound released October 31, 1995. Its controversial lyrics were the subject of shareholder protest. The album was supposed to be released in July 1995 but as a result of the controversy from Time Warner, the release was delayed for three months. Two singles were released from the album, "Let's Play House" and "New York, New York", featuring Michel'le and Snoop Doggy Dogg, respectively.
It peaked at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart on November 18, 1995. It is one of the last high-selling and critically acclaimed releases from the label, preceding only Tha Doggfather and 2Pac's albums as an anticipated album, and is the last album to be "officially" produced under the G-funk (subgenre) era of hip-hop. Though Dr. Dre was Death Row's top producer, the album was mostly produced by Daz Dillinger. Dr. Dre mixed the album. Dogg Food led the way for Daz to become the top in-house producer for Death Row until his departure in the late 1990s.
The video for the first single, "New York, New York", caused some controversy when Snoop appeared in it kicking down buildings throughout New York. The trailer of the Dogg Pound was shot at during the process of making the "New York, New York" video although no one was injured and only one shot was fired. The song is one of three tracks on the album not produced by Daz, as DJ Pooh provided the beat.
|1.||"Intro"||Dat Nigga Daz||0:18|
|2.||"Dogg Pound Gangstaz"||Dat Nigga Daz||5:22|
|3.||"Respect"||Dat Nigga Daz||5:54|
|4.||"New York, New York" (feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg)||DJ Pooh||4:51|
|5.||"Smooth" (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)||DJ Pooh||4:35|
|6.||"Cyco-lic-no" (featuring Mr. Malik)||Dat Nigga Daz||4:56|
|7.||"Ridin', Slipin' and Slidin'"||4:02|
|8.||"Big Pimpin 2"||Williams||Dat Nigga Daz||1:36|
|9.||"Let's Play House" (featuring Michel'le)||Dat Nigga Daz, Dr. Dre||3:24|
|10.||"I Don't Like to Dream About Getting Paid" (featuring Nate Dogg)||Dat Nigga Daz||5:13|
|11.||"Do What I Feel" (featuring The Lady of Rage)||Dat Nigga Daz||3:31|
|12.||"If We All Fucc"||Dat Nigga Daz||3:13|
|13.||"Some Bomb Azz"||Dat Nigga Daz||4:29|
|14.||"A Doggz Day Afternoon"||Dat Nigga Daz||2:46|
|15.||"Reality" (featuring Tray Deee)||6:16|
|16.||"One by One"||Dat Nigga Daz||5:09|
|17.||"Sooo Much Style"||5:44|
- "Dogg Pound Gangstaz" features vocals by Snoop Doggy Dogg and Big Pimpin
- "Respect" features vocals by Nancy Fletcher, Big Pimpin, and Prince Ital Joe with additional vocals by Dr. Dre
- "New York, New York" features vocals by Snoop Doggy Dogg
- "Smooth" features vocals by Val Young, Kevin 'Slow Jammin' James, and Ricky Harris
- "Cyco-Lic-No (Bitch Azz Niggaz)" features vocals by Snoop Doggy Dogg
- "Ridin', Slipin' and Slidin" features vocals by Mz. South 'Sentral and background vocals by Kevin 'K.V.' Varnado
- "Big Pimpin 2" features vocals by Big Pimpin and additional vocals by Dr. Dre
- "Let's Play House" features vocals by Nate Dogg and additional vocals by Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg
- "I Don't Like to Dream About Gettin Paid" features additional vocals by Stacey Smallie and Rochelle Wright
- "If We All Fucc" features vocals by Snoop Doggy Dogg
- "Some Bomb Azz Pussy" features vocals by Snoop Doggy Dogg, Big C-Style, and Joe Cool
- "A Doggz Day Afternoon" features vocals by Nate Dogg and Snoop Doggy Dogg
- Samples credits
- "Intro" samples "The Shalimar" by The Last Poets
- "Dogg Pound Gangstaz" samples "No Where 2 Hide" by DJ Pooh feat. Threat & Val Young
- "Respect" interpolates "Afro Puffs (extended remix)" by The Lady of Rage feat. Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg and "Flash Light" by Parliament
- "New York, New York" samples "You're a Customer" by EPMD, "I Can't Dance" by Genesis and interpolates "New York, New York" by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
- "Smooth" samples "Batterram" by Toddy Tee, "Tha Shiznit" by Snoop Dogg, and interpolates "La Di Da Di" by Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick
- "Cyco-Lic-No (Bitch Azz Niggaz)" interpolates "Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)" by Parliament
- "Big Pimpin' 2" samples "Big Pimpin'" by Tha Dogg Pound
- "I Don't Like to Dream About Gettin' Paid" samples "Love Will Find a Way" by Lionel Richie and interpolates Paid in Full by Eric B. & Rakim
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Top Heatseekers (Billboard)||21|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- 1995 in music
- List of albums
- List of number-one albums of 1995 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B albums of 1995 (U.S.)
- "Kurupt Talks Death Row History, Suge Knight, 2Pac, Breaks Down Beefs + More". The Breakfast Club. 2018-09-13. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (Stephen Thomas Erlewine). "Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-12-26. Check date values in:
- Hajari, Nisid (1995-11-17). "Dogg Food". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- Coker, Cheo H. (1995-10-29). "Album Review: Prime Quality 'Dogg Food'". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-12-26.
- "Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food CD Album". Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Powers, Ann (February 1996). "Tha Dogg Pound: Dogg Food (Death Row/Interscope)". Spin. Vol. 11 no. 11. pp. 86–87. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- Hollow (2009-03-19). "Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food (album review 2)". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 2018-12-26.
- "Tha Dogg Pound Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- "Tha Dogg Pound Chart History (Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- "Album Search for "dogg food"". Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Canadian album certifications – Tha Dogg Pound – Dogg Food". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Tha Dogg Pound – Dogg Food". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.