Doha Tribeca Film Festival
The Doha Tribeca Film Festival (DTFF) was an annual five-day film festival that was organised from 2009 to 2012 to promote Arab and international films, and to develop a sustainable film industry in Qatar. One of Qatar's largest entertainment events, it attracted over 50,000 guests in 2010.
The festivals were organised by the Doha Film Institute (DFI), which was founded by Al-Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani which implements, consolidates and oversees film initiatives in Qatar. The Festival was launched in 2009 through a cultural partnership between DFI and Tribeca Enterprises. The Festival was led by Abdulaziz Alkhater, Executive Director of DFI.
Celebrities who attended the Festival in 2010 include Robert De Niro, Salma Hayek Pinnault, Julian Schnabel, Freida Pinto, Hiam Abbas, Yousra, Adel Emam, Mira Nair, Kevin Spacey, Rachid Bouchareb, Basma Hassan, Yasmine Al Massri, and Stephane Rolland.
Approximately 51 films from 35 countries were screened at the festival, including nine world premieres, four international premieres and 26 MENA premieres within various themed sections, showcasing World and Middle Eastern Cinema. The Festival featured Arab and international film competitions, including Best Arab Film, Best Arab Filmmaker, Audience Awards for Best Narrative, Best Documentary and Arab Short Films.
The fourth edition of DTFF, held from November 17–24, was expanded to eight days. Indoor and outdoor screenings took place at Katara Cultural Village and Museum of Islamic Arts (MIA). DTFF 2012 showcased over 87 films from across the globe under distinct themed categories including Arab Film Competition, Made in Qatar, Contemporary World Cinema and Special Screenings.
- Article in Gulf Times January 2011
- Doha Tribeca Film Festival 2010
- Article in Variety Arabia
- DTFF at Tribeca Film Festival in 2009 Archived August 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Article in Guardian.co.uk in 2011
- Article in NewzGlobe regarding DTFF 2010
- http://varietyarabia.com/Docs.Viewer/d0752f78-6f16-4f4f-8fb4-d512a553e53e/default.aspx Variety Arabia
- Article in Ahram online on DTFF 2011 line-up
- Press announcement of competitions at DTFF 2011
- Qatar opens film festival with 'Black Gold' (AFP)
- "Algerian Filmmaker Merzak Allouache Struggles with Censorship After Long Career". al-akhbar.com. Retrieved 2012-04-06.
- http://varietyarabia.com/Docs.Viewer/28721322-3b48-4d5b-b49e-eba3a1e029d3/default.aspx Variety Arabia
- Doha Tribeca Film Festival