|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Deutschlandradio (DLR or DRadio) is a national German public radio broadcaster. It operates four national networks:
- Deutschlandfunk: mainly news and information
- Deutschlandfunk Kultur: culture in a broader sense
- Deutschlandfunk Nova: aimed at young adults, mainly spoken-word
- Dokumente und Debatten: opt-out channel, often for special events
Deutschlandfunk was originally a West German news radio targeting listeners within West Germany as well as in neighbouring countries, East Germany and the rest of the communist block, whereas Deutschlandradio Kultur is the result of a merger of West Berlin's RIAS station and East Berlin's DS Kultur after German reunification. Both networks that used to broadcast mainly on the AM bands have since spread throughout Germany, having been allocated many additional FM transmitters.
Dokumente und Debatten is a digital-only opt-out channel. It broadcasts coverage of the federal parliament, sports events, talk shows and shipping forecasts. Many of the talk shows are rebroadcasts of the audio portions of TV shows made by ARD, ZDF or Phoenix.  It uses digital frequencies of both Deutschlandfunk and Deutschlandradio Kultur.
Deutschlandradio is based in Cologne, with some departments—including Deutschlandradio Kultur—based in Berlin.
On May 1 2017, DRadio Wissen was renamed Deutschlandfunk Nova, Deutschlandradio Kultur was renamed Deutschlandfunk Kultur.
Orchestras and Choirs
Deutschlandradio has a 40% share in Rundfunk Orchester und Chöre GmbH, a non-profit organisation which operates:
- Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra (East Berlin)
- Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin
- Berlin Radio Choir
- RIAS Kammerchor
- World Radio Television Handbook (WRTH), pp. 209-211, 2007 edition, and pp. 194-195, 2008 edition
- "Historische Deutschlandfunk-Kurzwelle wird nicht wieder eingeschaltet – DXaktuell.de". dxaktuell.de. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "Abschaltung Langwelle: Deutschlandradio setzt auf moderne Verbreitungswege". deutschlandradio.de. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "Mittelwelle | UKW DX-Blog". ukwdx.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deutschlandradio.|