Dollands Moor Freight Yard
Dollands Moor Freight Yard is a railway freight yard near Folkestone in Kent, and was purposely built in 1988 for the Channel Tunnel. It is to the west of the Eurotunnel Folkestone Terminal, and just to the south of the M20 Motorway.
It has eight roads in the yard with an additional 5 roads which are through lines and run-round loops. All lines are electrified at 25Kv overhead wires and connections to the west of the yard are also dually electrified with a third rail (750v). This is to allow access to the South-Eastern Main Line at Saltwood Junction just to the east of Sandling Station. Dollands Moor has been operated by Railfreight Distribution since its opening, then EWS and now DB Schenker. Other freight operators pass through the yard, but currently do not stop here.
The function of Dollands Moor is for locomotive and crew changes rather than marshalling trains. Most trains operating from Dollands Moor are of the Trainload variety and if any marshalling needs to be done, it was historically undertaken at European Freight Operating Centre in Wembley. But with the drawdown of the Wagonload network in the UK they now go to Didcot. At the time of writing (October 2015) just one Fridays only working Wagonload train goes through Dollands Moor to Didcot 
The lines from Dollands Moor and the CTRL are measured in kilometres and Network Rail lines are all in Miles and chains.
Immigrants have been a problem for Dollands Moor; the various instability caused by migrant activity has dwindled freight traffic through the yard and immigrants actually vacating arriving trains have caused security and safety headaches too.
- Shannon, Paul (2012). EWS - From Privatisation to DB. Ian Allan Publishing. p. 74. ISBN 978-0-7110-3520-1.
- Shannon, Paul (2014). Speedlink. Ian Allan Publishing. p. 110. ISBN 978-0-7110-3697-0.
- Rawlinson, Mark (2015). Freightmaster 79. Swindon: Freightmaster Publishing. pp. 22, 23, 24.
- Jacobs, Gerald (2008). Railway Track Diagrams - Southern & TfL. Bradford-On-Avon: Trackmaps. pp. 50C. ISBN 978-0-9549866-4-3.
- "60 immigrants stow away on Channel train". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "Asylum special: Immigration controllers profiled". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dollands Moor.|
|This England rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|