Dom La Nena
Dom La Nena
|Birth name||Dominique Pinto|
|Born||1989 (age 31–32)|
Porto Alegre, Brazil
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, cellist|
|Associated acts||Piers Faccini|
Dominique Pinto (born 1989), known by her stage name Dom La Nena, is a Brazilian-born cellist, singer and songwriter. Her debut album, Ela, was released in January 2013 (USA and Canada).
Dominique Pinto was born in 1989 in Porto Alegre, Brazil. She began studying piano at the age of five, before shifting to the cello three years later. At the age of eight Dom moved to Paris while her father pursued his doctorate. Upon moving back to Brazil five years later at the age of thirteen, Dom began writing letters to the acclaimed American cellist Christine Walevska. Known as "the goddess of the cello", Walevska encouraged Dom to move to Buenos Aires and become her student. With her parents' consent Dom relocated to Argentina where she studied under Walevska for several years.
Dom returned to Paris at eighteen and soon found herself booked to play her first pop gig, a session with British singer-actress Jane Birkin. Over the next two years Dom toured with Birkin, also supporting French singer-actress Jeanne Moreau. Upon returning from Birkin's international tour, Dom set about working on her first album. The writing process, though, proved quite challenging. It was at a social dinner in Paris that Dom met and soon struck up an artistic partnership with singer-songwriter Piers Faccini, whom her director husband Jeremiah had made several videos for. Faccini suggested that Dom use his home studio in the Cevennes Mountains of France, where in less than a week she recorded almost all her parts. Facinni then set to adding various instruments over Dom's tracks. What resulted out of this partnership were the thirteen compositions that would become known as Dom's debut album, Ela.
- 2013 – Ela (Six Degrees Records)
- 2013 – Golondrina (an EP)
- 2014 – Ela por Eles (remixes of Ela)
- 2014 – Birds on a wire (duo with Rosemary Standley, Air Rytmo)
- 2015 – Soyo (Six Degrees Records)
- 2016 – Cantando EP (Six Degrees Records)
- 2020 – Ramages / Birds on a Wire (duo with Rosemary Standley, PIAS)
- 2021 – Tempo (Six Degrees Records)
- "Jane Birkin au Palace | 10 March 2009 – 15 March 2009". Le Palace. 2009. Archived from the original on 10 February 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Video Premiere: Dom La Nena, 'No Meu Pais'". Archived from the original on 9 May 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Fusilli, Jim (9 January 2013). "Melancholy Baby". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Dom La Nena on Six Degrees Records (2012 version of the text)". Six Degrees Records. Archived from the original on 20 February 2013.
- Pareles, Jon (11 January 2013). "Whispered Lyrics, Spooky Snippets, Old Frontiers Anew". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Official website
- Dom La Nena on Twitter
- Dom La Nena on Six Degrees Records
- Dominique Pinto discography at Discogs
- Dom La Nena statistics, tagging and previews at Last.FM
- Video on YouTube
- New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/arts/music/wooden-wand-and-broadcast-have-new-music.html?_r=0
- Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324391104578224813653874952
- NPR: https://www.npr.org/2013/02/24/172723654/with-a-passion-for-her-cello-dom-la-nena-debuts-her-vocals
- KCRW: http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb130326dom_la_nena/hd-showcase
- Studio 360: http://www.wnyc.org/story/293256-live-in-studio-dom-la-nena
- WNYC Soundcheck: https://web.archive.org/web/20130509050116/http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/blogs/soundcheck-blog/2012/dec/10/video-premiere-dom-la-nena-no-meu-pais/
- KPFK Melting Pot: http://www.meltingpotblog.com/2013/06/10/be-our-guest-dom-la-nena-on-kpfks-melting-pot/[permanent dead link]
- American Public Media - The Story: http://www.thestory.org/stories/2013-03/dom-la-nena
- Prix Miroir Musiques et Folklores du monde: https://www.feq.ca/en/FEQ/FEQ-Awards-Winners/Archives?edition=2013#annee
- Les Inrockuptibles: http://www.lesinrocks.com/2013/02/20/musique/le-monde-des-musiques-du-monde-3-11363427/
- O Globo: http://oglobo.globo.com/cultura/uma-voz-de-menina-um-violoncelo-lancam-gaucha-dom-la-nena-no-cenario-mundial-7988367
- Zero Hora: http://zerohora.clicrbs.com.br/rs/cultura-e-lazer/segundo-caderno/noticia/2013/03/aos-23-anos-dom-la-nena-coleciona-elogios-com-disco-de-estreia-4068198.html