25 December 1978 |
Rome, Lazio, Italy
He graduated in film direction from the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia in Rome with the film Unexpected (Inatteso), a documentary on the demand for political asylum in Italy, which was screened at the Festival dei Popoli in Florence and at the Berlinale, within the section "Forum" in 2006.
In 2008, he won the national prize Premio Solinas for the screenplay of the feature film When elephants fight (Quando gli elefanti combattono), written in collaboration with Filippo Gravino and Guido Iuculano.
In 2011, he directed two documentaries for RAI 3, the Italian cultural public channel: Urban extremes - Jerusalem (Estremi urbani, Gerusalemme), on the territorial conflict in Jerusalem and Romany imaginary - Minority artists (Immaginario Rom - Artisti Contro), on Romany art in Hungary.
Distilo's works generally focus on social issues, with a special interest in various forms of contemporary art.
In his movie Deep time (Margini di sottosuolo) (2012), he explored the boundaries between documentary and fiction with a story on archeology and the feelings that bound people to their past.
In the documentary Igort, the secret landscape (2013), Distilo tells the story of the research and work of Igort, an Italian comics artist and illustrator, for its trilogy on Soviet Union and the evolution of the artist's relationship with storytelling by image.
Prizes and awards
- In 2000 his short film Entrevias won the first prize at the Messina Film Festival
- In 2006 Unexpected (Inatteso) won the first prize as best documentary at Alicante Film Festival and received the jury's special mention at the Arcipelago - Festival Internazionale di Cortometraggi e Nuove Immagini of Rome
- In 2008 the screenplay from When elephants fight (Quando gli elefanti combattono) won the first prize at the event Premio Solinas
- In 2011 Distilo won the Premio maestri del documentario at the Assaggi di realtà festival of Messina
- A day in Rome (Un giorno a Roma), (2001), produced by Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia
- Tiburtina tells (Tiburtina racconta), (2005)
- Dialogues for Refugees (Dialoghi di Profughi), (2005)
- Unexpected (Inatteso), (2005), produced by Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia
- CAM Selinunte, (2008), produced by Sciara
- The Calm and the Storm, (2010)
- Urban Extremes – Jerusalem (Estremi urbani - Gerusalemme), (2011), produced by Sciara
- Romany imaginary - Minority artists (Immaginario Rom - Artisti contro), (2011), produced by Sciara
- Deep time (Margini di Sottosuolo), (2012), produced by Sciara
- Igort, the secret landscape, (2013), produced by Sciara
- Entrevias, (2000)
- Bartleby, the scrivener (Bartleby, lo scrivano), (2004), an adaptation from Herman Melville's homonym tale produced by Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia
- Laura in Lampedusa (Laura a Lampedusa), (2009), produced by Rai 1 for the programme "Vivo per te - 150 anni della Croce Rossa", broadcast on the 25th of December 2009
- The rope over the sea (Dawaz: la fune sul mare), a documentary with Adili Wuxiuer 
- When elephants fight (Quando gli elefanti combattono), movie
- (in Italian)"Premio Solinas - Albo d'oro".
- Distilo, Domenico (Director) (September 22, 2014). Urban Extremes - Jerusalem. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Distilo, Domenico (Director) (September 22, 2014). Igort, the secret landscape (English Subtitle). Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Igort, Il Paesaggio Segreto
- ‘Inatteso’, de Domenico Distilo, gana el premio del jurado de mostrari
- Winners list of Arcipelago, 2006 edition
- 3rd season of documentary in Messina - Assaggi di realtà 2011[permanent dead link]
- Dawaz, con la fune sul mare c' è il funambolo Adili Wuxiuer