Domingo Garcia Hindoyan (born in Caracas, February 15, 1980) is an Armenian-Venezuelan conductor and violinist.
Hindoyan is the son of Domingo Garcia, a Venezuelan violinist and former president of the Orquesta Sinfonica Venezuela, and Viki Hindoyan, a lawyer at the Venezuelan National Parliament. Hindoyan is of Armenian descent through his mother, who was born in Aleppo, Syria. He began his music studies as a violinist and member of the Venezuelan musical education program El Sistema. He obtained a master's degree in conducting at the Haute Ecole de Musique de Genève with highest distinction with Laurent Gay. In 2012, he was invited to join the Allianz International Conductor’s Academy, where he worked with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and The Philharmonia Orchestra, under conductors Esa-Pekka Salonen and Sir Andrew Davis. He has participated in masterclasses with Bernard Haitink, David Zinman and Jesus Lopez Cobos.
In 2013, Hindoyan was appointed as first assistant conductor to Daniel Barenboim at the Deutsche Staatsoper Berlin. He made his Metropolitan Opera conducting debut in January 2018. Other debuts during the 2017-2018 season included appearances at the Oper Stuttgart, with Giacomo Puccini's Tosca, and the at Monte-Carlo Opera, with Vincenzo Bellini's I puritani.
In June 2019, Hindoyan first guest-conducted the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic (RLPO). He became principal guest conductor of the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra in September 2019. In June 2020, the RLPO announced the appointment of Hindoyan as its next chief conductor, effective with the 2021-2022 season. This appointment marks his first chief conductor post. With the RLPO, Hindoyan made his conducting debut at The Proms in September 2021.
Hindoyan is married to the soprano Sonya Yoncheva. The couple have two children, a son, Mateo, born on 6 October 2014, and a daughter, Sofia, born in October 2019. The family resides in canton Vaud, Switzerland .
- "Domingo Hindoyan Becomes New Chief Conductor Of Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra". zartonkmedia.com. Retrieved 6 September 2020.
- Laura Davis (2020-06-12). "I'm coming to Liverpool for the music and football says Liverpool Phil's new conductor". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- James R. Oestreich (2018-01-17). "Review: A Donizetti Revival at the Met Hints at More to Come". The New York Times. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- "Domingo Hindoyan makes his Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra debut" (Press release). Askonas Holt. 26 June 2019. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- "The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra today announces Domingo Hindoyan as its Chief Conductor from September 2021" (Press release). Royal Liverpool Philharmonic. 9 June 2020. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- David Nice (2021-09-06). "Sheku Kanneh-Mason, RLPO, Hindoyan, BBC Proms review - wood magic and swashbuckling show-offs". The Arts Desk. Retrieved 2021-09-06.
- Michael Cooper (2014-11-26). "A Last-Minute Sensation". The New York Times. Retrieved 2020-06-14.