||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
Dominic Delaney is a former member of the House of Keys and the Legislative Council of the Isle of Man, where he sat as a member of the Alliance for Progressive Government. He was once called "one of the Island's most outspoken politicians".
Delaney was born in Douglas in 1943 and attended St Mary's School. He is a retired member of the Parachute Regiment, has been employed as a PR consultant and has been a company director. He married Julia in 1969 and they have two sons and two daughters; Julia was MHK for Douglas North from 1986-91.
He became a member of the Douglas Town Council in 1972 and remained in that post until he stood for the Keys in 1976 in Douglas East. He remained a member of the Keys (MHK) until his elevation to the Legislative Council in 1995. He raised concerns about immigration and the settlement of asylum seekers in the Isle of Man in 2002.
In 2005 he sought re-election to the Council for a third term, but after three rounds of unsuccessful voting the House of Keys elevated Hon Alex Downie instead. Delaney then fought the ensuing by-election in Douglas West and became a MHK again. He became the Member for Social Security in August 2005. He is also a former Minister in Sir Miles Walker's Council.
Delaney stood down from the House of Keys in October 2006 due to ill health.
- Chairman of the Board of Social Security, 1976-1980
- Chairman of the Civil Defence Commission, 1976-1981
- Chairman of the Manx Electric Railway Board, 1981-1983
- Chairman of the Isle of Man Passenger Transport Board, 1983-1985
- Minister of Local Government and the Environment, 1986-1989
- "MLC considering standing for House of Keys again". iomtoday.co.im. 22 January 2001. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Two Legco members ill". iomtoday.co.im. 11 October 2001. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Report of proceedings of Tynwald Court (Debates and other matters)" (PDF). tynwald.org.im. Douglas. 21 March 2002. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
Mr Delaney saw regular army service in the Parachute Regiment, which included tours of the Middle East, Far East, South America, Australia, Canada and British Guyana.
- "Delaney, Julia" (PDF). www.tynwald.org.im. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Island could be flooded with asylum seekers - MLC". iomtoday.co.im. Johnston Publishing Ltd. 26 September 2002. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Last place on Legco up for grabs". iomtoday.co.im. 3 March 2005. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Legco election saga goes on". iomtoday.co.im. 11 April 2005. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "DHSS Welcomes Dominic Delaney, MHK to the Department". www.gov.im. 18 August 2005. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Tributes to Dominic Delaney". Manx Radio. isleofman.com. 19 October 2006. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
|This article about a Manx politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|