|Born||1954/1955 (age 65–66)|
|Alma mater||Queen's University, Belfast|
|Employer||The Seattle Times|
|Known for||2020 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting co-recipient|
Dominic Gates is an Irish-American aerospace journalist for The Seattle Times, former math teacher, and Pulitzer Prize winner. He has been assigned to cover Boeing for The Times since 2003. Gates was a co-recipient of the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting alongside Steve Miletich, Mike Baker, and Lewis Kamb for their coverage of the Boeing 737 MAX crashes and investigations.
Gates was born in Dungannon, Northern Ireland, as one of six children. He was educated at St Patrick's Academy in Dungannon and graduated with a mathematics degree from Queen's University, Belfast. Gates taught high school mathematics in Ireland and Zimbabwe before relocating to the United States.
While having no formal training in journalism, Gates contributed several articles to the magazine Fortnight on an unpaid basis. After moving to Seattle with his wife in 1992, he took on several freelancing assignments for various magazines and news organizations while continuing to teach mathematics. Gates was hired by technology magazine The Industry Standard in 2000, but the magazine went out of business 18 months later.
Gates then joined The Seattle Times in 2003 as an aerospace reporter, covering the local Boeing beat. He covered the development and launch of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner project and later the Boeing 737 MAX program, including two fatal crashes and the subsequent grounding of the aircraft. He won critical acclaim for his investigation into the 737 MAX and its automated flight control system, which had been written prior to the second crash. Gates and Times colleagues Steve Miletich, Mike Baker, and Lewis Kamb were awarded the 2019 George Polk Award in Business Reporting and the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting for their coverage of the Boeing 737 MAX program.
- "Pulitzer prize for Dungannon-born journalist". Ulster Herald. May 17, 2020. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Moriarty, Gerry (May 6, 2020). "Tyrone journalist wins Pulitzer for Boeing Max crashes coverage". Irish Times. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Blatchford, Taylor (June 13, 2019). "Behind the Byline: Meet aerospace reporter Dominic Gates". The Seattle Times. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Canning, Margaret (May 7, 2020). "Ex-teacher from Co Tyrone Dominic Gates wins Pulitzer Prize". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Fancher, Michael R. (June 17, 2007). "An unusual journey to the Boeing beat". The Seattle Times. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- "The 2020 Pulitzer Prize Winner in National Reporting: Dominic Gates, Steve Miletich, Mike Baker and Lewis Kamb of The Seattle Times". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Harris Jr., Roy J. (April 3, 2020). "Pulitzer preview: While journalists pursue today's story of a lifetime, a moment to recognize 2019's best work". Poynter Institute. Retrieved October 1, 2020.