8 December 1976 |
Berlin, West Germany
Dominic Monaghan (/ /; born 8 December 1976) is an English actor. He has received international attention from playing Meriadoc Brandybuck in Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and for his role as Charlie Pace on the television show Lost. In 2009, he played Chris Bradley / Bolt in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Monaghan was born in Berlin, West Germany, to British parents: Maureen, a nurse, and Austin Monaghan, a science teacher. He has an elder brother called Matthew who is the main songwriter and joint vocalist of the indie band Radiosepia. Monaghan's family lived in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and Münster, moving about every four years. When he was about 11 years old, his family moved from Germany to Heaton Moor in Stockport, England. In Stockport, he attended St Anne's Roman Catholic High School (where his uncle taught and later became head teacher) and Aquinas College, where he studied English literature, drama and geography.
Although Monaghan held many occupations when he was younger, he always wanted to be an actor. After his second year at St. Anne's, Monaghan became a regular in school plays such as Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol and Bugsy Malone before joining the Manchester Youth Theatre. There, he was scouted for Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, on which he played Hetty's under-aged sidekick, Geoffrey Shawcross, for four series. He made his feature-film debut as Russian sailor Sasha in the TV film Hostile Waters.
Monaghan later starred in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy as Meriadoc Brandybuck, for which he achieved international acclaim and success. Monaghan narrated Ringers: Lord of the Fans, a documentary about The Lord of the Rings fandom. He also provided the narration for The Discovery Channel's documentary Devil's Bible in 2008. He also appeared in Soldiers of Fortune alongside Sean Bean and Christian Slater.
He was a regular cast member on the ABC series Lost from 2004 to 2007, playing English ex-rockstar and drug addict Charlie Pace. Monaghan originally auditioned for the role of Sawyer. The role of Charlie was then changed from an old, washed up rocker from the 1980s, to a young one-hit wonder to accommodate Monaghan's age. Monaghan returned to the series as a special guest star after departing from the main cast.
In 2009, Monaghan starred as Chris Bradley / Bolt in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. On 15 July 2009, it was confirmed that he would join the cast of ABC Studios' science fiction television series FlashForward as the character Simon. The series premiered on 24 September 2009. It was cancelled after its first season.
On 18 March 2010, Monaghan was spotted at the Universal Sheraton filming a short called Gloria. It was part of a programme called REESES Puff's Extraordinary Cinema (where the teens replace the pros). He played the part of Caleb Reese.
In 2010, Monaghan and Megan Fox made an appearance as a couple in an abusive relationship in the music video for rapper Eminem's song "Love the Way You Lie". Scenes include the celebrities on top of a liquor store. Fox and Monaghan also filmed inside the store and "at a seedy dive bar next door" to the store.
In November 2012, a new show on Channel 5 titled Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan began airing in the UK. The documentary shows Monaghan travelling to various locations such as Venezuela and Ecuador to film and interact with the exotic and often dangerous local wildlife.
Monaghan is a nature lover, and has been active in the planting of trees, cacti and the pod-seeds of mature hedge-row bushes. He owns a small forest in India, and has worked with the animal rights group PETA. Monaghan has a great love for insects and reptiles that he developed during his childhood, and has kept an assortment of pets, including a leaf-mantis named Gizmo, a black widow spider named Witchitar and an albino snake named Blink. The newly discovered species of spiders Ctenus monaghani (de:Ctenus monaghani) is named after him.
An avid outdoorsman, Monaghan enjoys activities such as surfing, kayaking, snowboarding, football, basketball and hiking. He has also stated that he likes hunting for insects and reptiles outdoors. He learned karate as a child, used to practice yoga, and often goes to the gym for strength and weight training. He is a longtime fan of hometown English Premier League football team Manchester United since his childhood, despite his father being a fan of Manchester City. His character Charlie Pace in Lost was also a Manchester United fan.
Monaghan loves to play various games, and has hosted game nights for fellow cast members in the past. He is also fond of working the New York Times crossword puzzle.
On his right arm he has a tattoo of the Elvish word "nine" written in the fictional language of Quenya, a reference to his involvement in The Lord of the Rings and the fact that his character was one of the nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Seven other cast members and John Rhys-Davies' stunt double also got matching tattoos during the film's production, at Monaghan's instigation. Below that tattoo is another that reads, "Life imitates art", an Oscar Wilde quote. On his left arm is a tattoo, "Living is easy with eyes closed", a line from The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever". He also has two stars tattooed on his left foot, one black, and one white. In 2010, Monaghan got two more tattoos, one on the upper side of the back ("Love you take is equal to the love you make", taken from the song "The End" by The Beatles). The other, done by Kat Von D on the television show LA Ink, is located on his lower right arm and reads "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter", a quote from Yoda.
He resides in Los Angeles, California. In 2008, Monaghan held a photographic exhibition in Los Angeles in which he sold prints of his own works. A portion of the proceeds from the exhibition were given to an orangutan rescue organisation.
|1996–98||Hetty Wainthropp Investigates||Geoffrey Shawcross||27 episodes|
|2000||Monsignor Renard||Etienne Pierre Rollinger||3 episodes|
|2004–2010||Lost||Charlie Pace||Main Cast (Season 1–3)
Special Guest Star (Season 4 & 6): 65 episodes
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Nominated—Monte-Carlo Television Festival Award for Outstanding Actor – Drama Series
Nominated—Prism Award for Performance in a Drama Series
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor on Television
|2009||Chuck||Tyler Martin||Episode: "Chuck Versus the Third Dimension"|
|2009–10||FlashForward||Dr. Simon Campos||14 episodes|
|2010||Top Gear||Himself||2 episodes|
|2012||The Unknown||Mark Nickel||6 episodes|
|2012||Childrens Hospital||Dr. Owen Maestro||Episode: "British Hospital"|
|2012–present||Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan||Himself||17 episodes|
|2013||Ridiculousness||Episode: "Dominic Monaghan"|
|2013||The Eric Andre Show||Episode: "Krysten Ritter/Dominic Monaghan"|
|2014||100 Code||Tommy Conley||12 episodes|
|2010||Eminem featuring Rihanna||"Love the Way You Lie"||With Megan Fox as his girlfriend|
|2016||Quantum Break||William "Will" Joyce||Also Mo-Cap|
- "Lost Boy". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "RADIOSEPIA". radiosepia.com. 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Radiosepia". Facebook. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Dominic Monaghan Exclusive Interview at scene-magazine.com".
- "Flash Forward: Dominic Monaghan Is Indeed Confirmed". Buddytv.com. 15 July 2009. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (13 May 2010). "THIS JUST IN: ABC cancels 'Romantically Challenged,' 'Scrubs,' 'Better Off Ted,' and 'FlashForward'". EW.com (Time Warner). Retrieved 3 June 2010.
In less surprising news, the Alphabet net has also cancelled Better Off Ted, Scrubs, and FlashForward
- "Eminem & Rihanna's Video Pics Hit The Web". MTV UK. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- Kahn, Joseph (24 July 2010). "Twitter / Joseph Kahn: And that's a wrap! Eminem/ ...". Twitter. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- Montgomery, James (26 July 2010) "Megan Fox, Dominic Monaghan Caught Kissing For Eminem Video – News Story". MTV.com. MTV Networks.
- "Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan: Episodes". Channel 5. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified: Live Action". Official 2K Games YouTube Channel. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Lost Star Dominic Monaghan Appears in New PETA Wildlife Ad". HelpingAnimals.com. Retrieved 21 February 2008.
- "Lord of the Rings | Monaghan + Chameleon Pet's Tearful Goodbye". Contactmusic. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Ctenus Monaghani : A Hobbit Helps Find A Spider Far From Mt. Doom
- Dominic Monaghan on Man U, Georgie's foxy looks
- "They nearly Lost: But Dominic Monaghan pays tribute to his beloved Manchester United after stunning league comeback". Daily Mail. Retrieved 15 Marvh 2014
- Schwarz, Rae. "The Tattoos of the Fellowship of the Ring". BellaOnline. Retrieved 28 May 2007.
- "Evangeline Lilly's Lost Loves | Hollywood Heartbreaker | Dominic Monaghan". Hollywood Heartbreaker. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Dominic Monaghan Said Evangeline Lilly Cheated on Him?! See His Tweets HERE!". PerezHilton.com. 22 December 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Evangeline Lilly's marriage plans". Female First. 19 June 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Dominic Monaghan | Lost Star Gets Lead Role". Contactmusic. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Dominic Monaghan at the Internet Movie Database
- Dominic Monaghan interview
- Dominic Monaghan – The cool Briton (Unofficial Website)