James Anthony Dominic Welsh (born 29 August 1938) is an English mathematician, an emeritus professor of Oxford University's Mathematical Institute. He is an expert in matroid theory, the computational complexity of combinatorial enumeration problems, percolation theory, and cryptography.
Welsh obtained his DPhil from Oxford University under the supervision of John Hammersley. After working as a researcher at Bell Laboratories, he joined the Mathematical Institute in 1963, and became a fellow of Merton College, Oxford in 1966. He chaired the British Combinatorial Committee from 1983 to 1987. Welsh was given a personal chair in 1992, and retired in 2005. He supervised 28 doctoral students.
- Matroid Theory (LMS Monographs, vol. 8, Academic Press, 1976, MR0427112, reprinted by Dover Publications, 2010, ISBN 978-0486474397)
- Probability: An Introduction (with Geoffrey Grimmett, Oxford University Press, 1986, ISBN 0-19-853264-4, MR0869591)
- Codes and Cryptography (Oxford University Press, 1988, ISBN 978-0198532873, MR0959137)
- Complexity: Knots, Colourings and Counting (LMS Lecture Notes, vol. 186, Oxford University Press, 1993, ISBN 0-521-45740-8, MR1245272)
- Complexity and Cryptography: An Introduction (with John Talbot, Cambridge University Press, 2006, MR2221458)
Awards and honours
In 2007, Oxford University press published Combinatorics, Complexity, and Chance: A Tribute to Dominic Welsh, an edited volume of research papers dedicated to Welsh.
The Russo-Seymour-Welsh estimate in percolation theory is partly named after Welsh.
- Levens, R.G.C., ed. (1964). Merton College Register 1900-1964. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. p. 497.
- Prof Dominic J A Welsh[permanent dead link], Debrett's, retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Oxley, James (2007), "The contributions of Dominic Welsh to matroid theory", in Grimmett, Geoffrey; McDiarmid, Colin (eds.), Combinatorics, Complexity, and Chance: A Tribute to Dominic Welsh (PDF), pp. 234–259, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.62.6989, doi:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198571278.003.0015, ISBN 9780198571278.
- Dominic J. A. Welsh at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- David R. Wood. "The Academic Family Tree of Dominic Welsh" (PDF).
- Review of Complexity and Cryptography by J. Rothe (2007), SIGACT News 38 (2): 16–20, doi:10.1145/1272729.1272735.