Dominion (2018 film)
|Directed by||Chris Delforce|
|Produced by||Chris Delforce, Farm Transparency Project|
|Narrated by||Joaquin Phoenix|
Katherine von Drachenberg
|Edited by||Chris Delforce|
|Music by||Asher Pope|
Dominion is an Australian documentary film released in 2018 by animal rights activist, Chris Delforce. The film is centred on a realistic stance about animal agricultural practices to educate public perceptions about animal agriculture by presenting real graphic footage secretly filmed using hidden cameras and aerial drones. The film focuses on six topics: farmed animals, wild animals, companion animals, entertainment animals, fur animals, and animal experimentation.
The film, and its related Dominion movement, is managed by an animal protection and animal rights organisation, Farm Transparency Project, previously known as Aussie Farms. The movie was filmed to be a feature-length documentary sequel to Lucent (2014), which mostly focused on the Australian pig farming industry.
Dominion describes, in 18 chapters, how different animal species are used and misused in different ways. The film is divided into segments covering different species: pigs, laying hens and meat chickens, turkeys, ducks, cows, sheep, goats, fish, rabbits, mink, foxes, dogs, horses, camels, mice, exotic animals, seals and dolphins, and a conclusion from the narrators.
The documentary was produced as part of two crowdfunding campaigns that raised US$19,796 and €57,710, respectively, and it received funding from the Australian animal rights organization Voiceless.
Animal rights activists participated in the temporary shutdown of a slaughterhouse in Benalla, Victoria, on 26 March, to coincide with the film's premiere in Melbourne. On 8 April 2019, a series of protest actions were held across Australia to mark the one year anniversary of the film. Protests included the storming of abattoirs and the halting of traffic at Melbourne's busiest intersection during peak hour. Activists held signs promoting the movie.
The Australian Meat Industry Council Chief Executive, Patrick Hutchinson, has said, "“What the film shows is not representative of the practices of the wider industry. The vast majority of businesses and the vast majority of their employees are deeply committed to ensuring the most humane experience possible for animals,"
- "Farm Transparency Project - Australian animal protection charity". www.farmtransparency.org. Retrieved 1 April 2022.
- "About the Film - Dominion Movement - Animal rights documentary DOMINION | We Will Rise Together". www.dominionmovement.com. Retrieved 1 April 2022.
- "Dominion: the documentary follow-up to 2014's Lucent". Chuffed. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "DOMINION: A feature-length documentary". Indiegogo.
- "Voiceless". Archived from the original on 15 February 2020. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Pritchett, Liam. "The Scariest Movie Ever Made Is a Vegan Documentary", LiveKindly.co, 30 August 2019, accessed 7 August 2020
- Ettinger, Jill (26 March 2018). "Vegan Documentary 'Dominion' Starring Joaquin Phoenix Holds Sold-Out World Premiere This Week". Archived from the original on 11 April 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Maria, Chiorando (26 March 2018). "Vegan Activist James Aspey Says 'Documentary Dominion Is One Of The Most Powerful Ever Created'". Plant Based News. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Lupica, Diana (8 November 2017). "This Movie Dubbed The 'New Earthlings' Is Set To Make Millions Of Vegans". Plant Based News. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Chiorando, Maria. "'Dominion' UK Premiere To Be Hosted By PBN And Surge Activism". Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "Vegan stars Joaquin Phoenix, Sia and Rooney Mara lift lid on animal exploitation". South China Morning Post. 29 August 2018. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- "How 'Dominion' Documentary Challenges Animal Exploitation: An Interview With Director Chris Delforce". LAIKA Magazine. 30 May 2018. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "Animal activists protest nationwide, storming abattoirs and halting traffic". ABC News. 8 April 2019. Archived from the original on 12 November 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Chiorando, Maria (11 April 2018). "Meat Industry 'Braced For Backlash' From Vegan Documentary 'Dominion'". Plant Based News. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- Mitchell, Joely (4 April 2018). "Industry braces for documentary backlash". Queensland Country Life. Archived from the original on 8 August 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2020.