This article needs to be updated.(January 2014)
10 September 1989 |
Wordsley, West Midlands
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||192 lb (87 kg)|
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles
Dominique Allen (born 10 September 1989) is a British basketball player. Having previously played for Northumbria University, she moved on to the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles and now plays for Manchester Mystics. She was chosen for the British team at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Allen played basketball for Northumbria University in the English Basketball League and in the BUSA Basketball League. After two seasons, and being Most Valuable Player during her first season, she transferred to Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma where she plays alongside fellow British player Georgia Jones. She has since graduated from University having majored in graphic design, her final match having been against Wichita State University on 16 March 2012. She hopes to become a player in the Women's National Basketball Association.
Having already represented Great Britain at the 2008 and 2009 European Championships as an under-20, she went on to play for the GB Futures team at the World University Games. She was selected as one of twelve players to represent Great Britain at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. It marks her first appearance in the senior international squad, and the first Oral Roberts University Alumni to appear at an Olympics. It also marks the first appearance of a women's basketball team from Great Britain at an Olympic Games.
Allen made her senior international debut in 2012 against Croatia before earning a spot in Great Britain’s Olympic team, featuring in one game in London. She represented GB at Under-20 level in the 2008 and 2009 European Championships, averaging 5.2 points and 7.3 rebounds in the latter year. She also played for the GB Futures team in the 2011 World University Games in Shenzhen, China. Club career:
Bologna, Italy (2013- ), Oral Roberts University, USA (2008–12), Northumbria University, England (2006-8)
Allen started her career in Birmingham before spending two seasons playing in the English Basketball League and BUSA competition for Northumbria University, earning Most Valuable Player honours in 2006-7. She then transferred to Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma, playing 10 games in her first season and 33 in her second (sophomore) year. In 2010-11, she averaged 5.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per game, including a career-best 15-point effort against Western Illinois University. Her teammates there included fellow GB international, Georgia Jones. She made her professional debut in the 2012-13 season with Italian side Bologna, becoming a regular starter.
Dominique is the daughter of former Birmingham Bullets and England men's international Clive Allen. While at Oral Roberts University, Dominique played under the same coach as her father when he was at Northwest Nazarene University.
- "Dominique Allen". Team GB. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Dominique Allen". Great Britain Basketball. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Former Oral Roberts center Dominique Allen makes British Olympic women's basketball team". Daily Journal. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Dominique Allen". Oral Roberts University Golden Eagles. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Talented Dudley sportswoman ready for first stateside Christmas". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "London 2012: Team GB name women's basketball squad". BBC Sport. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "ORU's Dominique Allen Chosen For British Olympic Team". News on 6. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Dominique snares Olympic place". Stourbridge News. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Liz Nicholl reaction to Team GB and Paralympics GB announcements". UK Sport. 25 June 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.