Domino Printing Sciences
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Domino. Do more.
|Industry||Industrial Printers – coding, marking, serialisation, and traceability|
|Headquarters||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Nigel Bond, Group MD
Rachel Hurst, Group Operations Director
Number of employees
|Approx. 2,600 (2016)|
The company was founded by Graeme Minto in 1978 to exploit continuous inkjet technology (CIJ). By 1984 Domino had shipped its 1000th printer. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1985. In 1989 Domino moved to a new headquarters, located a few miles from Cambridge. Then in 1994 it acquired Directed Energy, a small laser marking business based in California, United States. In 2004 it acquired Wiedenbach, a supplier of ink jet printers, and Purex, a supplier of fume extractors for laser printers. In 2005 it acquired Sator, a supplier of laser printers. In 2006 it acquired Enterprise Information Systems, an RFID specialist. In March 2015 Japan's Brother Industries announced it planned to buy Domino Printing Sciences PLC for £1.03 billion in cash ($1.55 billion). On 12 June 2015 Brother Industries announced it had formally completed the acquisition of Domino Printing Sciences plc.
Products and technologies
Products produced by the company include Continuous Inkjet (Small Character) systems, Digital Colour Label Presses, Piezo Micro Drop on Demand (Piezo DOD) systems, Scribing Laser Coding and Marking systems, High Speed Binary Inkjets, Valve Jet Drop on Demand (Large Character) systems, Print And Apply Label Applicator Systems (PALM), Thermal Inkjet (TIJ) systems, Thermal Transfer - packaging printing systems and Fume Extraction systems.
The company has operations organised as follows:
- Domino Printing - UK
- Domino Lasers - Germany
- Citronix Inc - USA
- Wiedenbach Apparatebau GmbH - Germany
- Graph-Tech AG - Switzerland
- Mectec Elektronik AB - Sweden
- PostJet Systems Ltd - UK
- Domino Printech - India
- "Company information". Domino Printing Sciences. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Innovation Management" (PDF). palgrave.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Brussels lays golden eggs for Domino". Daily Telegraph. 19 January 2005. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Domino Acquires RFID Specialist". Manufacturingtalk. 26 May 2006. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013.
- "Japan's Brother Industries to buy UK's Domino Printing for $1.55 billion". Reuters. Archived from the original on 11 March 2015.
- "Brother completes acquisition of Domino Printing Sciences". Domino Printing Science.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Continuous Inkjet (CIJ)". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Digital Inkjet Colour Label Press". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Laser Coding and Marking". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Print and Apply Labelling Machines". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Thermal Transfer Overprinting (TTO)". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Controllers". Domino Printing Sciences. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Domino Printing Sciences. "Coding Automation". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-12-13.