4 September 1959
Rome, Lazio, Italy
Domiziana Giordano (born 4 September 1959) is an Italian artist, actress, photographer and video artist. Domiziana has played the lead role in films directed by Nicolas Roeg, Jean-Luc Godard, Andrei Tarkovsky, Mauro Bolognini, Neil Jordan, Ken McMullen and many others.
Life and career
Born in Rome in 1959, Giordano grew up in a family of artists and architects. She developed a strong awareness and comprehension of the visual arts. Giordano studied architecture, but decided to dedicate herself full-time to the visual arts.
After completing her studies at the Academy of Dramatic Art in Rome, Giordano furthered her education at the Stella Adler Studios for acting in New York City, as well as at The New York Film Academy for film directing. After her studies, she continued to work on visual arts and photography, beginning her career as an assistant director for stage and film.
Giordano first appeared on screen in Mario Monicelli's Amici miei Atto II in 1982. In 1983, she appeared as the female protagonist in Andrey Tarkovsky's Nostalghia. In 1986 Giordano won the International Fantasy Film Award at Fantasporto for her lead performance as the daughter of Leon Trotsky in Ken McMullen's award-winning film Zina (1985). Giordano also played roles in such films as Jean-Luc Godard's Nouvelle Vague (1990) and Neil Jordan's Interview with the Vampire (1994).
Besides her visual art work, she has also written poetry and articles about the history of the Art Critic that have been published in a very prestigious literary magazine in Italy. Her photographic work was nominated for the Rencontres Internationales de la Photographie de Arles in 2002. Giordano also collaborates with the online magazine Nova of the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore.
Giordano's work includes researching the interaction among various disciplines and across the study of language, communication and sociology. Her work is a fusion of interactive content and structure, digging deep into the roots of visual art, the science of semiotics, cinema and new technology.
- Amici miei atto II, Mario Monicelli (1982)
- Nostalghia, Andrej Tarkovskij (1983)
- Bakom jalusin, Stig Björkman (1984)
- Zina, Ken McMullen (1985)
- Strana la vita, Giuseppe Bertolucci (1987)
- Normality, Cecilia Miniucchi (1989)
- Nouvelle vague, Jean-Luc Godard (1990)
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, George Lucas (1992) (she acted Mata Hari)
- Interview with the Vampire, Neil Jordan (1994)
- Mario e il mago, Klaus Maria Brandauer (1994)
- La famiglia Ricordi (miniserie TV), Mauro Bolognini (1995)
- Machinations, Gerard Vergez (1995)
- Finalmente soli, regia di Umberto Marino (1997)
- Canone inverso, Ricky Tognazzi (2000)
- Il quaderno della spesa, Tonino Cervi (2003)