Don't Come Around Here No More
|"Don't Come Around Here No More"|
|Single by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|from the album Southern Accents|
|Released||February 28, 1985|
|Genre||Pop rock, new wave, psychedelic rock|
|Writer(s)||Tom Petty, David A. Stewart|
|Producer(s)||Tom Petty, David A. Stewart, Jimmy Iovine|
|Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers singles chronology|
"Don't Come Around Here No More" is a song written by Tom Petty of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and David A. Stewart of Eurythmics. It was released in February 1985 as the lead single from the band's Southern Accents album.
Background and writing
The original inspiration was a romantic encounter that Stewart had with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac. On The Howard Stern Show, Dave Stewart explained that the title's phrase was actually uttered by Nicks. She had broken up with Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh the night before, and invited Stewart to her place for a party after an early Eurythmics show in Los Angeles. Stewart did not know who she was at the time, but went anyway. When the partygoers all disappeared to a bathroom for a couple of hours to snort cocaine, he decided to go upstairs to bed. He woke up at 5am to find Nicks in his room trying on Victorian clothing and described the entire scenario as very much reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. Later that morning, she told Walsh, "Don't come around here no more."
The music video is themed around Alice in Wonderland and was directed by Jeff Stein. Dave Stewart appears as the caterpillar at the beginning, sitting on a mushroom with a hookah water pipe while playing a sitar. Petty appears in the video dressed as The Mad Hatter, and actress Wish Foley played Alice. At the end of the video, Alice, who has been turned into a cake, is eaten by Petty and even friends of her own, after which she wakes up from her dream.
- Tom Petty - lead vocals, piano
- Mike Campbell - guitar, bass synthesizer
- Benmont Tench - string synthesizer
- Stan Lynch - drums, percussion
- Howie Epstein - bass guitar, vocals
- David A. Stewart - electric sitar, synthesizer, vocals
- Dean Garcia - intro bass guitar
- Daniel Rothmuller - cello
- Marilyn Martin - backing vocals
- Stephanie Sprull - backing vocals
- Sharon Celani - backing vocals
- Alan "Bugs" Weidel - wild dog piano
|Canadian Top 100 Singles (RPM)||20|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||42|
|UK Singles Chart||50|
|US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|US Album Rock Tracks (Billboard)||2|
Susanna of Susanna and the Magical Orchestra gives the song a low-key, piano-based cover on her 2008 album Flower of Evil. British indie pop singer-songwriter Diana Vickers covered the song as a promotional track ahead of the release of her second album. The song was parodied by Bob Rivers.
- Don't Come Around Here No More Songfacts
- Conversations With Tom Petty, 2005
- Top Singles - Volume 42, No. 11, May 25 1985. collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- "Charts.org.nz – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Don't Come Around Here No More". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- "Tom Petty – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Tom Petty. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Don't Bum Around Here no More