Don't Explain (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Billie Holiday|
|B-side||"What Is This Thing Called Love?"|
|Recorded||November 8, 1944|
|Songwriter(s)||Billie Holiday, Arthur Herzog Jr.|
|Billie Holiday singles chronology|
It is said Billie wrote "Don't Explain" after her husband, Jimmy Monroe, came home one night with lipstick traces on his collar.
Lyrics from "Don't Explain" were sung by Carlo Marx (portrayed by actor Tom Sturridge) in the 2012 film adaptation by Walter Salles of the novel by Jack Kerouac, On the Road, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival.
Session #52: New York City, November 8, 1944, Decca, Toots Camarata and His Orchestra, with Russ Case (trumpet), Hymie Schertzer, Jack Cressey (alto saxophone), Larry Binyon and Dave Harris (tenor saxophone), Dave Bowman (piano), Carl Kress (guitar), Haig Stephens (bass), George Wettling (drums), Billie Holiday (vocals), and six strings.
Notable cover versions
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Helen Merrill (1954)
- George Shearing (1956)
- John Coltrane (1957)
- Abbey Lincoln (1957)
- Charlie Byrd (1958)
- Wes Montgomery (1959)
- Anita O'Day - for her album Trav'lin' Light (1961)
- Dinah Washington - I Wanna Be Loved (1962).
- Dexter Gordon (1962)
- Nina Simone - in her album Let It All Out (1966)
- Carmen McRae - included in her album Woman Talk (1966)
- Lou Rawls (1966)
- Diana Ross - for the album Lady Sings the Blues (1972)
- Grover Washington, Jr. (1973)
- Rosemary Clooney - for her album Here's to My Lady (1978)
- Nikki Sudden & Rowland S. Howard (1987)
- Mary Black (1987)
- Dos (1989)
- Robert Palmer - Don't Explain (1990)
- Dušan Prelević (1991)
- Elkie Brooks - Round Midnight (1993)
- Natalie Cole - for her album Take a Look(1993)
- Miki Howard (1993)
- Diana Ross (1993)
- Gabrielle Goodman with Kevin Eubanks (1993)
- Etta James - Mystery Lady: Songs of Billie Holiday (1994)
- Regina Carter (1995)
- Dakota Staton (1996)
- Vanessa Daou (1996)
- Molly Johnson (2000)
- Sarah Vaughan (2001)
- Angela McCluskey (2002)
- Rita Reys (2004)
- Herbie Hancock with Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan (2005)
- Lisa Stansfield (2005)
- Lils Mackintosh (2005)
- Nnenna Freelon (2007)
- Cat Power (2008)
- Oleta Adams (2009)
- DeeDee Bridgewater (2010)
- Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa (2011)
- Malia (2012)
- Xiu Xiu (2013)
- Mariah Carey (2014)
- Mark Steiner & His Problems (2014)
- Nancy Kelly (2014)
- Cassandra Wilson (2015)
- Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Sings the Blues (2015)
- Snoh Aalegra (2016)
- Jacobs, Dick & Harriet. Who Wrote That Song?, Writers Digest Books (1994), page 57 - ISBN 0-89879-639-3
- Alagna, Magdalena. Billie Holiday, The Rosen Publishing Group (2003), page 61 - ISBN 0-8239-3640-6
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "Discogs.com". Discogs.com. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Christopher Loudon (2012-12-13). "Malia: Black Orchid". JazzTimes. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Mariah Carey Don't Explain live in japan 2014 the elusive chanteuse show". YouTube. 2014-11-07. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- C. Michael Baitley (2014-11-08). "Nancy Kelly: B That Way". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2012-01-26.