"Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)" is a power ballad written and performed by the glam metal band Cinderella, from their second album Long Cold Winter. Released in August 1988, it was their most successful single, peaking at number 12 on US Billboard Hot 100 in November 1988.
It is featured in the South Park episode "Raisins". The song can also be heard on the 2008 film The Wrestler.
The music video for this song was filmed at Mono Lake, California and Bodie California. This fact is revealed in the Tales From the Gypsy Road video collection.
This song was also featured on the first installment of the compilation series, Monster Ballads.
In popular culture
- The song was made available for download on April 24, 2012, to play in Rock Band 3 Basic and PRO mode utilizing real guitar / bass guitar, and MIDI compatible electronic drum kits.
- ^ Bowar, Chad. "Best Hair Metal Ballads". About.com. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- ^ a b c Sweeney, Mike (July 19, 2011). "Don't Know What You Got ('Till It's Gone)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- ^ Tigges, Jesse (June 6, 2013). "Q&A with Tim Minneci, author of book on power ballads". Columbus Alive. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^ Westwood, Wild Willie. The Secrets of "Raisins" at the Wayback Machine (archived December 3, 2013). Spscriptorium.com.
- ^ Jurek, Thom. "Original Soundtrack – The Wrestler". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- ^ Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Original Soundtrack – Monster Ballads". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- ^ "Top RPM Singles: Issue 8683." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1989-02-26" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- ^ a b "Long Cold Winter – Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- ^ CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending NOVEMBER 26, 1988 at the Wayback Machine (archived October 7, 2012). Cash Box magazine. Retrieved October 7, 2012.