Don't Rain on My Parade
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Don't Rain On My Parade"|
|Popular song, Show tune by Barbra Streisand from the album Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording, Funny Girl: The Original Soundtrack Recording|
|Recorded||20 December 1963|
|Writer(s)||Bob Merrill (lyricist)|
|Composer(s)||Jule Styne (composer)|
"Don't Rain On My Parade" is a popular song from the 1964 musical Funny Girl. It was also featured in the 1968 movie version of the musical. The song was written by Bob Merrill and Jule Styne. Both the movie and stage versions feature Barbra Streisand performing the song. In 2004 it finished #46 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
Streisand has sung the song live on many occasions, including during her comeback tour Barbra Streisand: The Concert Tour (1993–1994), Timeless Live In Concert Tour (1999–2000) and the Streisand: The Tour (2006–2007). The instrumental of this song can be heard during the Overture of the stage show, the film and on Streisand's 2006–2007 Tour.
There is a reprise version of this song with alternate lyrics which served as the finale for the stage show. This number was cut from the film. Streisand sang this version live for the first time since her run in the original Broadway production as an encore during her 2006–07 Tour.
Barbra Streisand versions
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" from "Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording" (1964) - 2:46
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Reprise)" from "Funny Girl: Original Broadway Cast Recording" (1964) - 2:07
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" from "Funny Girl: Original Soundtrack Recording" (1968) - 2:45
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Live Concert At The Forum" (1972) - 2:39
- "Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Barbra Streisand ... and Other Musical Instruments" (1973) - 2:38
- "I'm Still Here/Everybody Says Don't/Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Barbra: The Concert" (1994) & "The Concert: Highlights" (1995) - 4:26
- "I'm The Greatest Star/Second Hand Rose/Don't Rain On My Parade" (Live) from "Timeless: Live in Concert" (2000) - 5:25
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Live)" from "Live In Concert 2006" (Target Exclusive Version Only) (2007) - 2:57
- "Don't Rain On My Parade (Reprise)" from "Live In Concert 2006" (2007) - 3:31
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The song was covered by many artists, among the notable ones are Nancy Wilson in 1964, Bobby Darin in 1966, Shirley Bassey in 1965 and by Only Men Aloud! in 2008. The Bobby Darin version was used in the film American Beauty and the trailer for Catch Me If You Can.
The song was covered by Diana Ross and The Supremes on their 1968 album "Sing and Perform Funny Girl".
Tony Award Winner Idina Menzel also sings this song in the Kennedy Honors concert dedicated for original singer Barbra Streisand.
In the TV series Glee, Rachel Berry (played by actress Lea Michele) covered the song on the season one episode entitled Sectionals, and Santana Lopez (played by actress Naya Rivera) covered the song on the season five episode entitled Frenemies. The song was also released on the albums Glee: The Music, Volume 2, Glee: The Music, The Complete Season One, and Glee: The 3D Concert Movie Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Dorothys on Over the Rainbow, the TV show in which Andrew Lloyd Webber chooses a Dorothy for the west end production, also sing this song as a group number.
It was also used in the BBC sitcom Beautiful People.
International champion barbershop quartet Max Q covered it on their 2009 album, Journey.