Don't Think They Know
|"Don't Think They Know"|
|Single by Chris Brown featuring Aaliyah|
|from the album X (Deluxe edition)|
|Released||June 17, 2013|
|Recorded||2001 (Aaliyah's Vocals); 2013|
|Chris Brown singles chronology|
|Aaliyah singles chronology|
"Don't Think They Know" is a song by American R&B recording artist Chris Brown. It was released on June 17, 2013, as the second official single from his sixth studio album X. The song, produced by Mel & Mus, features a posthumous appearance from American R&B singer Aaliyah. The song contains an interpolation from the Tim & Bob produced single "They Don't Know" by Jon B. The song peaked at number 81 on the US Billboard Hot 100.
"Don't Think They Know" was originally a duet between Aaliyah and Playa member Digital Black, recorded in 2001 and produced by J-Dub. The song was later released in 2005 on Black's Memoirs of a R&B Thug album. The 2013 version, first introduced as "They Don't Know", with Chris Brown as the lead singer, features not only previously heard Aaliyah's part, but also vocals that were not used in Black's version. "Don't Think They Know" was released to digital retailers on June 17, 2013 and was sent to Rhythmic contemporary radio in the United States on July 1, 2013.
The music video for the song was shot in Los Angeles, California and was released in correspondence to the single on June 17, 2013. Aaliyah appears as a hologram which are actually scenes from Aaliyah's 2000 video "Try Again" and 1996's "If Your Girl Only Knew".
The theme of the video is to stop gun violence and poverty.
The video is shot in a grey filter however some objects in the video such as Brown's hair is shot in red and blue which is supposed to represent the Bloods and Crips. The video begins with Brown sitting in a car with 3 other men driving in a neighborhood looking for trouble. Brown then asks to stop the car as he gets out as he walks off out into another block. The music begins as Brown is singing in front of Aaliyah who is shown as a hologram from stock footage. In the plot scenes, Brown is seen leading a group of people while this group is seen walking around the neighborhood leading a peace walk during the entire video. Brown puts up a message saying rest in peace to late Compton rapper Michael "Lil Frogg" Reshard, Jr. who was shot and killed on March 27, 2013 in the end of the video. As the video fades to black a message appears saying:
|“||Dear Aaliyah, we love and miss you. Thank you for inspiring us all.||”|
|— Chris Brown, Don't Think They Know Official Music Video|
- Digital single
|1.||"Don't Think They Know" (featuring Aaliyah)||4:01|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||95|
|US Billboard Hot 100||81|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||29|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Radio and release history
|United States||June 17, 2013||Digital download||RCA|
|July 1, 2013||Rhythmic contemporary radio|
- Kyle (June 26, 2013). "Interview: Digital Black Talks "Don't Think They Know", Aaliyah, Chris Brown, Playa Legacy – New R&B Music, R&B Videos, R&B Interviews, R&B Concert Coverage". YouKnowIGotSoul. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Don't Think They Know (feat. Aaliyah) - Single". itunes.apple.com. June 17, 2013. Archived from the original on November 6, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Archived from the original on June 28, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Baker, Soren (May 14, 2013). "Chris Brown Features Aaliyah On New "They Don't Know" Single | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Video: Chris Brown f/ Aaliyah – 'Don't Think They Know'". Rap-Up.com. June 17, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Chris Brown Didn't Want The 'Wealthy Or Rich' In 'Don't Think They Know' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. June 25, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Chris Brown feat. Aaliyah – Don't Think They Know" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Chris Brown Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – Don't Think They Know". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.