Don't Ask Me Why (Billy Joel song)
|"Don't Ask Me Why"|
|Single by Billy Joel|
|from the album Glass Houses|
|Released||July 24, 1980|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock, folk rock|
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
"Don't Ask Me Why" is a Billy Joel song released in 1980. The lyrics talk about the oddities of life that have become obvious over time. It is more characteristic of a track that would have appeared on Joel's earlier albums in that it has a lighter folk sound as compared to the harder, more rock oriented tracks found throughout the album; the song supported public perception that Joel was a middle-of-the-road artist.[need quotation to verify]. The background track contains all acoustic and Latin percussion instruments performing in an Afro-Cuban rhythmic style. An eclectic, instrumental "Latin Ballroom" piano solo, played over the bridge section after the second verse, is also featured in part of the song; Joel states that the mix for the midsection includes "fifteen pianos overdubbed on top of each other." The song spent two weeks at number one on the Adult Contemporary chart and peaked at number nineteen on the Billboard Hot 100.
|Canada RPM Top Singles||4|
|Canada RPM Adult Contemporary||1|
|Dutch Singles Chart||42|
|French Singles Chart||42|
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||1|
|US Cash Box Top 100||21|
|US (Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual)||122|
- Billy Joel - vocals, piano, Yamaha electric grand piano, acoustic guitar
- David Brown - acoustic guitar
- Liberty DeVitto - maracas, bass drum, triangle, claves, ratchet, temple blocks
- Russell Javors - acoustic guitar
- Doug Stegmeyer - bass
- Bordowitz, Hank (2006). Billy Joel: The Life & Times of an Angry Young Man. New York: Billboard Books. p. 128. ISBN 978-0-8230-8248-3. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 127.
- "RPM 100 Singles (Vol. 34, No. 2, October 25, 1980)". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "InfoDisc : Bilan des Ventes par Artiste". Infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.
|This 1980s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|