Don't Give Up (Chicane song)
|"Don't Give Up"|
|Single by Chicane featuring Bryan Adams|
|from the album Behind the Sun|
|Released||6 March 2000|
|Format||CD single, 12"|
|Recorded||Modena One, Mothership Studios UK|
3:42 (2000 radio edit)|
3:58 (2004 radio edit)
8:38 (Album Version)
|Songwriter(s)||Nick Bracegirdle, Bryan Adams, Ray Hedges|
Bracegirdle, Ray Hedges;|
Alex Gold, Chris Agnelli, Robbie Nelson (2004)
|Chicane singles chronology|
|Bryan Adams singles chronology|
2012 re-release cover
"Don't Give Up" is a song by British electronic music artist Chicane, featuring vocals recorded by Canadian singer Bryan Adams. It was released on 6 March 2000 as the second single from Chicane's second studio album Behind the Sun. The song peaked at number one on the UK Singles Chart and become a popular dance track in clubs across Europe and North America.
The collaboration between the two musicians began in 1999, when Adams contacted Bracegirdle at his studio to arrange for a remix of Adams's forthcoming single "Cloud Number 9" from his 1998 album On a Day Like Today. The resulting remix was selected by Adams as the radio edit of the single, which went on to reach #6 on the UK chart.
Later, having written the music for a track that needed to be turned into a song, Bracegirdle played the idea to Adams during his search for a voice. Adams agreed to the role, and also wrote the melody and lyrics to the song "Don't Give Up".
Adams's rock-styled vocals were buried in audio processing. This was done through Prosoniq's OrangeVocoder plugin on Steinberg's Cubase VST digital audio workstation. Even though his voice was altered electronically, it is still recognisable. One critic felt the processed vocals were unsuccessful: "Adams digitally treated his vocal on this track to an extreme degree to make it sound less rock. I don’t think he quite manages it – his singing is husky anyhow."
A 14 second sample of "Don't Give Up" demonstrating Bryan Adams' processed vocals.
Problems playing this file? See media help.
Adams's vocal credit was initially not publicized, particularly when the single, in a white label release, was first played by noted BBC Radio 1 DJ Pete Tong on his 31 December 1999 Essential Selection show. It was chosen as Tong's "Essential New Tune" selection, which, on this episode, was specially designated "Essential New Tune for the millennium". On a later January show, Judge Jules, standing in for Tong, played it as the Essential New Tune again. It was also included on Tong's Essential Selection Spring 2000 compilation album.
On the week of 12 March 2000, "Don't Give Up" overtook "American Pie", Madonna's #1 single of the previous week, on the UK Singles Chart, outselling it by 1224 copies. The song featured on the acclaimed 2000 mix album CreamLive. The song sold 270,000 copies in the UK as stated by the Official UK Charts Company.
In 2004, following Bracegirdle's departure from Xtravaganza, the label issued "Don't Give Up 2004", a single including only new remixes by label founder Alex Gold and Xtravaganza artists Agnelli & Nelson.
Dom Passantino of Stylus Magazine was mixed, saying "this is our Bryan's only entry to #1 [in the UK Singles Chart in the 2000s], a far too obvious attempt at appealing to both Dave Pearce and Ken Bruce at the same time. Bizarrely enough, time has revealed it to actually be the colour negative of 'Emerge' by Fischerspooner. Except this actually sold some copies." Tom Ewing of Freaky Trigger, although saying the song predicted the EDM boom of the 2010s, was also mixed, saying: "Inadvertently, the track hits on an idea – throaty, effortful bloke singing over formula builds and drops – that we will see an awful lot of in the early 2010s. But this inadvertent futurism isn't the result of any particular vision, just an offspring of the listless humping of two clichés."
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||17|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||18|
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||56|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||9|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||9|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||8|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||24|
|Iceland (Íslenski Listinn Topp 40)||33|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||14|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||14|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||2|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||42|
|UK Singles Chart (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play||3|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Worldwide||6 March 2000|
|Worldwide (2004 version)||4 February 2004|
- Shepherd, Stephanie (September 2000). "Samplings - Chicane - Carries Ibiza Sound Across the Pond". DJ Times. Archived from the original on 29 April 2006. Retrieved 30 April 2006.
- "Interview with BBC Radio 1". Chicane.cc. February 2000. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 30 April 2006.
- "Tracks: Nick Bracegirdle: Recording Chicane's "Don't Give Up"". Sound on Sound. May 2000. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- Ewing, Tom (16 February 2015). "CHICANE ft BRYAN ADAMS – "Don't Give Up"". Freaky Trigger. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Pete Tong - Essential Selection - 31.12.99". The Aimless Essential Selection Index. Archived from the original on 28 January 2006. Retrieved 5 December 2006.
- Gill, Alexandra. Bryan Adams, king of rave? Archived 14 June 2006 at the Wayback Machine.. Globe Interactive. 22 August 2000. Accessed 29 March 2006.
- Finan, Chris (2000). "Chicane - 'Don't Give Up' (Xtravaganza)". Dotmusic (retrieved from the Internet Archive). Archived from the original on 2000-02-29. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- "Pete Tong - Essential Selection - 14.01.00". The Aimless Essential Selection Index. Archived from the original on 28 January 2006. Retrieved 5 December 2006.
- "Interview with BBC Radio 1". Chicane.cc. 12 March 2000. Retrieved 2006-04-30.[permanent dead link]
- Rated 4.5/5 stars by Allmusic http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/cream-live-mr0002978718
- ""Gotta Get Thru This": Dom Passantino's Survey of the New Millenium's UK #1 Singles - Article - Stylus Magazine". stylusmagazine.com.
- "Australian-charts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Canada Dance peak
- Eurochart peak
- "Chicane feat. Bryan Adams: Don't Give Up" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (Vikuna 13.3. - 20.4. 2000)" (PDF) (in Icelandic). Dagblaðið Vísir. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Italiancharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". VG-lista.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Chicane feat. Bryan Adams – Don't Give Up". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Zywietz, Tobias. Chart Log UK: Oliver Cheatham - Convert. (22 March 2005). Chart Log UK. Accessed 2 April 2006.
- "Artist Chart History - Chicane ". billboard.com. Retrieved 13 August 2008.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "British single certifications – Chicane – Don't Give Up". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 12 May 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Enter Don't Give Up in the search field and then press Enter.