Don't Go Near the Water (The Beach Boys song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Don't Go Near the Water"|
|Song by The Beach Boys|
|from the album Surf's Up|
|Released||August 30, 1971|
|Recorded||April 3, 1971|
|Songwriter(s)||Mike Love/Al Jardine|
|Producer(s)||The Beach Boys|
The Beach Boys hired Jack Rieley as their manager in 1970. In order to make the band more relevant, Rieley suggested that the band write songs that were more political. "Don't Go Near the Water" is the first example of this. The song puts an ironic, ecological spin on the traditional Beach Boys beach- and surf- based songs: instead of enjoying surfing and other fun activities, this time the listener is advised to avoid the water for environmental reasons.
The song was recorded at the same session as "Long Promised Road" and "4th of July", both also recorded for the Surf's Up album. The lead vocals are by the song's composers, Love and Jardine. Brian Wilson contributed the dissonant piano part, according to Peter Ames Carlin's book Catch a Wave (Rodale, 2006), page 159.
The song was chosen to be the B-side of the "Surf's Up" single, released on November 8, 1971. It did not chart. Featured as an A-side in New Zealand, it peaked at #21 there. The song was also released as a single in several European countries, such as Britain and Germany.[better source needed] It was later released on November 2, 1981 as the B-side of the "Come Go with Me" single. The single charted at #18 in the US but never charted in the UK.
|This section does not cite any sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- The Beach Boys
- Al Jardine – lead, harmony and backing vocals; lead guitar; Moog
- Bruce Johnston – harmony and backing vocals
- Mike Love – lead, harmony and backing vocals; tambourine
- Brian Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; piano; harmonica
- Carl Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; tambourine
- Dennis Wilson – harmony and backing vocals
- Additional musicians and production staff
- "'Don't Go Near the Water' single releases". rateyourmusic.com.