Don't Save It All for Christmas Day
|"Don't Save It All for Christmas Day"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album These Are Special Times|
|Released||4 December 2000|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"Don't Save It All for Christmas Day" is a song by Canadian recording artist Celine Dion. It was written by Peter Zizzo, Ric Wake, and Dion for her first English-language holiday album These Are Special Times (1998), while Wake also served as its producer. The pop ballad was issued as a promotional single on 4 December 2000, two years after album's original release.
"Don't Save It All for Christmas Day" is one out of seven original compositions Dion recorded for These Are Special Times. Aside from "Treat Her Like a Lady", a cover of the Diana King song, that she had partially re-written and recorded for 1997 studio album Let's Talk About Love, "Don't Save It All for Christmas Day" marked her first co-writing credit on one of her own recordings. Unaware of the fact that it was not someone else's record she was continually singing to, Dion had the melody and lyrics of the song's pre-chorus ("How many people are crying / people are dying / how many people are asking for love") for nearly two years in her head. While she never finished it as she was "afraid of the reaction", her husband and manager René Angélil suggested that it would make a "great record" after hearing it. At a dinner with frequent collaborator Rick Wake after her performance at the VH1 Divas Live show in New York City in April 1998, Wake convinced Dion to sing her ideas of a verse and a chorus on his home answering machine. While Dion's lines inspired the song and its whole approach, Wake consulted Peter Zizzo to polish Dion's track. Based on her lyrics, the songwriter came up with the chorus lines "Don't save It all for Christmas Day". Lyrically, the ballad is about sharing good-will and love throughout the year, not just during the holiday season.
Billboard editor Paul Verna called this song 'thoughtful produced original composition, her first co-writing credit'.
Formats and track listings
Promo CD single
- "Don't Save It All for Christmas Day" (album version) – 4:37
- "Don't Save It All for Christmas Day" (radio version) – 4:19
Credits and personnel
|South Korean Gaon International Chart||94|
|US Holiday 100 (Billboard)||81|
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- "Celine Dion Takes Stock of Success". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 17 October 1998. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Celine Dion recording Don't Save It All For Christmas Day1". YouTube. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Celine Dion takes stock of success". Billboard. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "For Peter Zizzo, Emotion Is The Key". Billboard. 12 December 1998. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- These Are Special Times (booklet). Celine Dion. Columbia, Epic. 1998.
- "South Korean Goan International Single Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- "Holiday 100". Billboard. Retrieved 31 December 2017.