Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School
|Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School|
1010 Larch Avenue
|Motto||"Be who you are and be it well."|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Established||August 28, 2007|
|Founder||Fr. Steve Shafran, SDB|
|President||Fr. Michael Conway, SDB|
|Vice Principal||Jennifer Castaneda|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Affiliation||Cristo Rey Network|
|Work study director||Ana Chapa|
Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school and work study program in Takoma Park, Maryland, serving low-income students in the D. C. area. It is cosponsored by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington and the Salesians of Don Bosco. The school is named for St. John Bosco, founder of the Salesian order, and is part of a national Cristo Rey network of 28 schools. It offers a challenging college-preparatory academic program and fully integrated work study program, in which students from low-income families gain professional work experience at nearly 100 leading Washington-area businesses and earn money to pay for a significant portion of their tuition. The school finished renovation in 2007, graduated its first class in 2011, and finished adding a new science wing in 2014.
Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School opened for classes on August 28, 2007, with 127 students enrolled. The school graduated its first class in 2011. It is part of the Cristo Rey Network of high schools, the original being Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago. The school is run by the Salesians of Don Bosco and is the only Salesian High School in the Cristo Rey Network.
All students are from families with limited financial means, and each student works one day a week (Tuesday–Friday) plus one Monday per month. The jobs that the students are employed in help pay for the bulk of the tuition.
The current president is Fr. Michael Conway. The current principal is Larry Savoy. Ana Chapa is the Executive Director of the Corporate Work Study Program.
- Acosta, Andrea (August 16, 2007). "Don Bosco Cristo Rey" (Spanish). El Pregnogero. p. 15.
- "High school gets teen off the street and into college". www.cnn.com. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Patron saint will continue to guide life of founder of Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School". Catholic Standard. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School to graduate first class". WJLA. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Cardinal blesses new academic and science wing at Cristo Rey". Catholic Standard. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Archbishop Celebrates Mass for New Year". The Washington Post. September 13, 2007. p. T14.
- "Admissions Criteria". Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- Kearney, G. R. More Than a Dream: The Cristo Rey Story: How One School's Vision Is Changing the World. Chicago, Ill: Loyola Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-82-942576-5
- Official website
- Work Study at Bosco
- Cristo Rey Network
- Fr. John P. Foley honored with Presidential Citizen's Medal
- 60 minutes
- Cristo Rey Featured in WashPost column by George Will
- Boston Globe - With sense of purpose, students cut class for a day
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Success of Innovative Urban Catholic School Sparks Major Investment