He worked for architect Victor Gruen, and in 1964 founded his own practice. He has designed the Chadwick modular seating system (1974) and, in cooperation with Bill Stumpf, the Equa 1 (1984) and the Aeron chair (1994), all for Herman Miller. Among his recent designs is the Chadwick chair for Knoll.
- ID magazine Award for Design Excellence, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974
- ASID Award for Ergon seating, 1976
- The Governor's Award, Design Michigan Exhibition, 1977
- ID magazine "Designer of the 70s," 1979
- IBD and IDSA awards for casegoods, 1980
- IBD Gold Award for Equa chair, 1984
- IBD Gold Award for Ethospace interiors, 1985
- Time magazine, Design: Best of the Decade for Equa chair, 1990
- Business Week Magazine and Industrial Designers Society of America awarded Design of the Decade to the Aeron chair, 2000
- National Design Awards, Product Design winner, 2006
- "The Collection | Donald T. Chadwick, William Stumpf. Aeron Office Chair. 1992". MoMA. Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- "Don Chadwick". Knoll. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Industrial Designers Society of America. "Ergon Chair (1976)". Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "The Aeron Chair's Designers". Smartfurniture.com. 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-06-04.