Don Giovanni Records
|Don Giovanni Records|
|Genre||Punk rock, Indie|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New Brunswick, New Jersey|
Don Giovanni's primary focus has been on bands local to the New York/New Jersey independent music scene with a heavy focus on New Brunswick, NJ's basement scene. The label also has a reputation for supporting and working with female fronted and LGBT artists such as Screaming Females, Waxahatchee, Priests, Laura Stevenson & The Cans, Downtown Boys, Aye Nako, Moor Mother, and Alice Bag.
Steinhardt and Gajewski started the label while playing in bands themselves and attending college at Boston University where the two met. After graduation they moved to New Brunswick, where Steinhardt was originally from, in order to make the label a full-time operation.
Artists who have released material on Don Giovanni
Bands such as Screaming Females, Waxahatchee, Laura Stevenson, Downtown Boys, California X, The Ergs!, Nude Beach, Priests, Tenement, P.S. Eliot, Jeffrey Lewis, Peter Stampfel, Worriers, and Shellshag as well as comedian Chris Gethard have released records on Don Giovanni.
- Dodero, Camille. "Don Giovanni Keeps The Jersey-Punk Dream Alive". Village Voice. Village Voice.
- Livermore, Larry. "Don Giovanni Records: 10 Years of Day Jobs". IMPOSE.
- Sherman, Maria. "The Don Giovanni Story: Nothing Jersey Shore About It". myspace. myspace.
- Weiner, Sophie. "Don Giovanni Records' Founder on Building a Beloved Local Indie Label". Flavorwire.
- Don Giovanni Records (official website)