|Born||5 September 1960|
|Alma mater||Stockholm University|
|Main interests||cultural and linguistic anthropology|
|Notable works||Travesti: sex, gender, and culture among Brazilian transgendered prostitutes|
|Part of a series on the|
|Anthropology of kinship|
Don Kulick (born 5 September 1960) is professor of anthropology at Uppsala University in Sweden. Kulick works within the frameworks of both cultural and linguistic anthropology, and has carried out field work in Papua New Guinea, Brazil, Italy and Sweden. Kulick is also known for his extensive fieldwork on the Taiap people and their language in Gapun village of East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea.
Kulick's previous academic positions were at both Stockholm and Linköping Universities. He was previously a Professor of Anthropology and Director of the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality at New York University, before becoming a Professor of Anthropology and Chair of the Department of Comparative Human Development at the University of Chicago. He has been considered one of Sweden's foremost queer theorists and was influential in introducing queer theory to Sweden.
- Kulick, Don (1992). Language shift and cultural reproduction: socialization, self, and syncretism in a Papua New Guinean village. Cambridge England New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521414845.
- Kulick, Don; Willson, Margaret (1995). Taboo: sex, identity, and erotic subjectivity in anthropological fieldwork. London New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415088190.
- Kulick, Don; Cameron, Deborah (2003). Language and sexuality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780511791178.
- Kulick, Don (1998). Travesti: sex, gender, and culture among Brazilian transgendered prostitutes. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 9780226461007.
- Kulick, Don; Meneley, Anne (2005). Fat: the anthropology of an obsession. New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin. ISBN 9781585423866.
- Kulick, Don (2005). Queersverige [Queer Sweden]. Stockholm: Natur & Kultur. ISBN 9789127110199.
- Kulick, Don; Cameron, Deborah (2006). The language and sexuality reader. London New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780203013373.
- Kulick, Don; Rydström, Jens (2015). Loneliness and its opposite: sex, disability, and the ethics of engagement. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press. ISBN 9780822375845.
- Kulick, Don (2019). A Death in the Rainforest: How a Language and a Way of Life Came to an End in Papua New Guinea. Chapel Hill, North Carolina: Algonquin Books. ISBN 9781616209049.
Chapters in books
- Kulick, Don; Stroud, Christopher (1993), "Conceptions and uses of literacy in a Papua New Guinean village", in Street, Brian V. (ed.), Cross-cultural approaches to literacy, Cambridge England New York, New York, USA: Cambridge University Press, pp. 30–63, ISBN 9780521409643.
- Kulick, Don (2010), "Humorless lesbians", in Holmes, Janet; Marra, Meredith (eds.), Femininity, feminism and gendered discourse a selected and edited collection of papers from the fifth International Language and Gender Association Conference, IGALA5, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, pp. 59–82, ISBN 9781443823647.
- Kulick, Don; Stroud, Christopher (June 1990). "Christianity, cargo and ideas of self: patterns of literacy in a Papua New Guinean Village". Man. 25 (2): 286–304. doi:10.2307/2804565. JSTOR 2804565. Pdf.
- Kulick, Don (September 1997). "The gender of Brazilian transgendered prostitutes". American Anthropologist. 99 (3): 574–585. doi:10.1525/aa.19220.127.116.114. Pdf.
- Kulick, Don (October 2000). "Gay and lesbian language". Annual Review of Anthropology. 29 (1): 243–285. doi:10.1146/annurev.anthro.29.1.243. Pdf.
- Kulick, Don (April 2003). "No". Language & Communication. 23 (2): 139–151. doi:10.1016/S0271-5309(02)00043-5. Pdf.
- Kulick, Don (December 2008). "Gender politics". Men and Masculinities. 11 (2): 186–192. doi:10.1177/1097184X08315098. Pdf.
- Benwell, Bethan (December 2011). "Masculine identity and identification as ethnomethodological phenomena: revisiting Cameron and Kulick". Gender and Language. 5 (2): 187–211. doi:10.1558/genl.v5i2.187.
- "Kulick, Don". Library of Congress. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
data sheet (b. Sept. 5, 1960)