|Born||c. 1934 (age 81–82)
Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.
|Alma mater||Texas A&M University
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|196x–65||Big Spring HS (TX)|
|1966–67||Texas-El Paso - (assistant)|
|1968–69||Idaho - (assistant)|
|1976–?||Big Spring HS (TX)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Big Sky Conference (1971)|
Robbins was born in Fort Worth, Texas, and grew up primarily in Breckenridge. He graduated from Breckenridge High School in 1952, where his father Cooper was the head football coach for seven seasons (1945–51). Cooper became the freshman football coach at Texas A&M in 1952, and son Don played for him that first season. Following his sophomore season, Paul "Bear" Bryant was hired as the head coach at A&M and Robbins was a member of the Junction Boys as a junior end in September 1954. Robbins graduated in 1956 and later earned a master's degree in education from A&M.
Following coaching at Big Spring High School, Robbins became a college assistant coach in 1966 at Texas-El Paso under head coach Bobby Dobbs. After two seasons in El Paso, he was hired as an assistant at Idaho in April 1968, under first-year head coach Y C McNease. When McNease was dismissed after spring drills in May 1970, Robbins was promoted to head coach of the Vandals. His 1971 team had the best record (8-3) in the history of the school, but the next two seasons were less successful and he was dismissed in November 1973. He was succeeded by Ed Troxel, an assistant under Robbins and his two predecessors and the head track coach.
Robbins returned to Big Spring High School as head coach and athletic director in 1976.
College head coaching record
|Idaho Vandals (Big Sky) (1970–1973)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
- academics.utep.edu - UTEP 1967-68 academic catalog - p.15
- Game day program - UTEP at Utah - 1967-11-25 - p.12
- "Donald Robbins joins Vandals' football staff". Lewiston Morning Tribune. (Idaho). April 3, 1968. p. 12.
- "Idaho hires Don Robbins from UTEP". Spokesman Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. April 3, 1968. p. 17.
- "Idaho officials debating possible coaching change". Lewiston Morning Tribune. (Idaho). May 9, 1970. p. 12.
- McNease fired from Vandal football coaching job Lewiston Morning Tribune 1970-05-16 - p.12
- Robbins to replace McNease at Idaho Tri-City Herald Associated Press - 1970-05-17 - p.38
- Board demands Robbins resign or be fired Lewiston Morning Tribune 1973-11-30 - p.19
- Robbins bitter as Idaho prepares for dismissal Spokane Daily Chronicle - 1973-11-30 - p.17
- Don unloads...Knecht next?...football out? Lewiston Tribune - 1973-12-01 - p.15
- 'Trox' changes mind, accepts Vandal grid challenge Lewiston Morning Tribune 1973-12-20 - p.17
- .e-yearbook.com - Big Spring High School - El Rodeo yearbook - 1977 - p.177