Don Robertson (songwriter)
Don Robertson in 1966
|Birth name||Donald Irwin Robertson|
December 5, 1922|
|Died||March 16, 2015
California, United States
|Occupation(s)||Songwriter and pianist|
Donald Irwin Robertson (December 5, 1922 – March 16, 2015) was an American songwriter and pianist, mostly in the country and popular music genres. He was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972. As a performer, he hit the US Top 10 with "The Happy Whistler" in 1956 (Peaking at 6th). The track reached #8 in the UK Singles Chart the same year. It sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc.
Although contracted to Capitol at the time of his biggest selling hit single, Robertson subsequently signed a recording contract with RCA Victor. He composed or co-composed with Hal Blair, many hits for other musicians, including Elvis Presley who recorded over a dozen of Robertson's songs, five of which appeared in Presley's numerous films. He died in 2015.
Best known published songs
- "Anything That's Part of You" (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger" (with Doris Clement and John Crutchfield)
- "Born to Be with You" (performed by The Chordettes)
- "Hummingbird" (performed by Les Paul and Mary Ford and Frankie Laine)
- "I can't seem to say goodbye" (performed by Jerry Lee Lewis, Jean Shepard, Hawkshaw Hawkins)
- "I Don't Hurt Anymore" (with Walter E. Rollins), (performed by Hank Snow, Jerry Lee Lewis)
- "I Love You More and More Every Day" (performed by Al Martino)
- "I Met Her Today" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "I'm Counting on You" (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "I Really Don't Want to Know" (with Howard Barnes), (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "Love Me Tonight" (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "Ninety Miles an Hour (Down a Dead End Street)" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Hank Snow)
- "No More" (based on the song "La Paloma", co-written with Hal Blair, performed by Elvis Presley and Dean Martin)
- "Not One Minute More" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Della Reese)
- "Please Help Me, I'm Falling" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Hank Locklin)
- "Ringo" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Lorne Greene)
- "Stand In" (with Hal Blair), (performed by Don Robertson himself and Jim Reeves)
- "Starting Today" (performed by Elvis Presley)
- "There's Always Me" (performed by Elvis Presley and Jim Reeves)
- "You're Free to Go" (with Lou Herscher) (performed by Carl Smith)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 465. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 86. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- "Don Robertson Obituary: View Don Robertson's Obituary by Ventura County Star". Legacy.com. Retrieved 2015-08-17.