June 1, 1947 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||CEO, Tapscott Group
Chairman and Founder, Global Solution Networks
Don Tapscott (born June 1, 1947) is a Canadian business executive, author, consultant and speaker, who specializes in business strategy, organizational transformation and the role of technology in business and society. He is the CEO of The Tapscott Group, and was founder and chairman of the international think tank New Paradigm before its acquisition. He is the vice chair of Spencer Trask Collaborative Innovations, a company building a portfolio of companies in the collaboration and social media space.
Tapscott’s books include: Paradigm Shift (1992); The Digital Economy (1996); Growing Up Digital (1998); Digital Capital (2000); The Naked Corporation (2003); and Grown Up Digital (2008).
In 2012, Tapscott opened TEDGlobal in Edinburgh, where his talk, Four Principles for the Open World, was viewed online by more than 800,000 people. Tapscott has authored or co-authored fifteen books on the application of technology in business and society. Macrowikinomic: New Solutions for a Connected Planet (revised paperback, 2012), co-authored by Anthony D. Williams, was originally released in September 2010. Macrowikinomics has been recognized by the 2012 Tribeca Disruptive Innovation Awards, and 2010 Financial Times Best Book nominations. His 2006 book, Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything (2006), co-authored by Anthony D. Williams, was an international bestseller, was number one on the 2007 management book charts and has been translated into 20 different languages.
Tapscott lives in Toronto. He is chancellor of his alma mater, Trent University, as well as adjunct professor of management at the Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto and a member of the World Economic Forum.
Early life and education
Tapscott holds a B.Sc. in psychology and statistics and an M.Ed. specializing in research methodology. While earning his Master's of Education at the University of Alberta, he ran for mayor of Edmonton in the 1977 municipal election, on behalf of the Revolutionary Workers' League.
Awards and recognition
- Don Tapscott, Del Henderson, Morley Greenberg, Planning for Integrated Office Systems: A Strategic Approach, Carswell Legal Pubns, 1984. ISBN 0-87094-653-6.
- Don Tapscott, Del Henderson, Morley Greenberg, Office Automation: A User-Driven Method, Springer, 1985. ISBN 0-306-41973-4.
- Don Tapscott, Art Caston, Paradigm Shift: The New Promise of Information Technology, McGraw-Hill Companies, 1992. ISBN 0-07-062857-2.
- Don Tapscott, Ann Cavoukian, Who Knows: Safeguarding Your Privacy in a Networked World, McGraw-Hill, 1997. ISBN 0-07-063320-7.
- Don Tapscott, The Digital Economy: Promise and Peril In The Age of Networked Intelligence, McGraw-Hill, 1997. ISBN 0-07-063342-8.
- Don Tapscott, Growing Up Digital: The Rise of the Net Generation, McGraw-Hill, 1999. ISBN 978-0-07-134798-3.
- Don Tapscott, David Ticoll, Alex Lowy, Blueprint to the Digital Economy: Creating Wealth in the Era of E-Business, McGraw-Hill, 1999. ISBN 0-07-135213-9.
- Don Tapscott, Creating Value in the Network Economy, Harvard Business Press, 1999. ISBN 0-87584-911-3.
- Don Tapscott, David Ticoll, Alex Lowy, Digital Capital: Harnessing the Power of Business Webs, Harvard Business Press, 2000. ISBN 978-1-57851-193-8.
- Don Tapscott, David Ticoll, The Naked Corporation: How the Age of Transparency Will Revolutionize Business, Free Press, 2003. ISBN 0-7432-4650-0.
- Don Tapscott, Anthony D. Williams, Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything, Portfolio Trade, 2006. ISBN 1-59184-367-7.
- Don Tapscott, Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World, McGraw-Hill, 2008. ISBN 0-07-150863-5.
- Don Tapscott, The Net Generation Takes The Lead; in: Willms Buhse/Ulrike Reinhard: Wenn Anzugträger auf Kapuzenpullis treffen (When Suits meet Hoodies), whois-Verlag 2009. ISBN 978-3-934013-98-8.
- Don Tapscott, Anthony D. Williams, Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World, Portfolio Hardcover, 2010. ISBN 978-1-59184-356-6.
- Don Tapscott, The Digital Economy Anniversary Edition: Rethinking Promise and Peril In the Age of Networked Intelligence, McGraw-Hill, 2014. ISBN 0-07-183555-5.
- Don Tapscott, Alex Tapscott, The Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin is Changing Money, Business, and the World, Penguin Books, Released May 2016 ISBN 978-0670069972]
- "About". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "People". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Books". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Don Tapscott:Four principles for the open world". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Acclaimed Innovation Book Macrowikinomics to be Released as a Revised Paperback May 29". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Don Tapscott". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Blockchain’s Backers Gather to Push Governance for Technology, Bloomberg, 22 August 2016.
- "Orillia Hall of Fame" (PDF).
- "Orillia Packet".
- Edmonton Journal, October 20, 1977
- Brothers.com, Trent Magazine, Fall 2001, archived Nov 1, 2002
- "News & Events – University of Alberta". Expressnews.ualberta.ca. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Four Nova Scotians among Order of Canada honourees". The Chronicle-Herald, July 1, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Don Tapscott|
|Chancellor of Trent University